Model Cars Magazine Forum

Took a year off from the hobby

I've been lurking around for the past couple of weeks but I finally made myself go down to the hobby room to survey the damage. Last July, I got a phone call at work from my wife telling me to get home quick. She had been upstairs in the bedrooms putting away laundry and sorting out kids' clothes that no longer fit to take to Goodwill. The baby was upstairs with her and the boys had been down on the main floor watching TV and playing. Then she smelled paint. At some point, the boys (now 7 and 5) snuck down to the basement and into my hobby room. They had decided that they were going to build one of daddy's cars. My oldest boy grabbed a can of Tamiya Italian Red off the bench and proceeded to "paint" my Z06 Vette project. To make matters worse, he did this on her kitchen table and needless to say it was everywhere. I was able to get that mess cleaned up by wiping everything down with iso alcohol.

After that was taken care of, I went down to my hobby room. In their search for parts, they had dumped the majority of my kits into piles on the floor. Having already reached a point of frustration on several of the builds I was working on at the time, I shut the door and walked away. That was more than a year ago now.

A couple of weekends back, I checked the board and saw all the good reviews on the Revell '69 Nova. Back in high school, I'd wanted a 68-72 Nova bad. I just missed out on one my senior year. I had $4k the guy wouldn't come down from $5k and I couldn't talk my dad into floating me the difference. This was the spark I needed to go down and clean up the hobby room. I didn't even bother to sort anything out, just started grabbing trees and putting them in big plastic totes. It felt like I was going in after the tornado struck and had to figure out what the storm took. Luckily, other than the Z06, none of my other projects luckily had been touched.

Life and family have interrupted my hobbies before and I'm sure will again. I've come to realize that I'm just not going to get to every project and need to scale back on what I have and what I take on. For now, I'm excited again about building. I'm going simple with the Nova to get any easy "win" under my belt before I jump back into some of my more involved projects like my long-term '69 Vette.

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

EFI'd Hilborn BBC with T-56 six speed

IMG_2737.jpg

20+" Torque Thrust IIs from Revell '59 Vette, widened in the back to fit the flares

IMG_2258.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

Italian Red interior

IMG_1641.jpg

I'm just getting around to moving all my pics over to Photobucket, it seems that Imagestation is no longer around.

Anyways, the Nova is taking a bath right now to get the mold release off so I'm hoping to make some progress by this weekend.

I've been lurking around for the past couple of weeks but I finally made myself go down to the hobby room to survey the damage. Last July, I got a phone call at work from my wife telling me to get home quick. She had been upstairs in the bedrooms putting away laundry and sorting out kids' clothes that no longer fit to take to Goodwill. The baby was upstairs with her and the boys had been down on the main floor watching TV and playing. Then she smelled paint. At some point, the boys (now 7 and 5) snuck down to the basement and into my hobby room. They had decided that they were going to build one of daddy's cars. My oldest boy grabbed a can of Tamiya Italian Red off the bench and proceeded to "paint" my Z06 Vette project. To make matters worse, he did this on her kitchen table and needless to say it was everywhere. I was able to get that mess cleaned up by wiping everything down with iso alcohol.

After that was taken care of, I went down to my hobby room. In their search for parts, they had dumped the majority of my kits into piles on the floor. Having already reached a point of frustration on several of the builds I was working on at the time, I shut the door and walked away. That was more than a year ago now.

A couple of weekends back, I checked the board and saw all the good reviews on the Revell '69 Nova. Back in high school, I'd wanted a 68-72 Nova bad. I just missed out on one my senior year. I had $4k the guy wouldn't come down from $5k and I couldn't talk my dad into floating me the difference. This was the spark I needed to go down and clean up the hobby room. I didn't even bother to sort anything out, just started grabbing trees and putting them in big plastic totes. It felt like I was going in after the tornado struck and had to figure out what the storm took. Luckily, other than the Z06, none of my other projects luckily had been touched.

Life and family have interrupted my hobbies before and I'm sure will again. I've come to realize that I'm just not going to get to every project and need to scale back on what I have and what I take on. For now, I'm excited again about building. I'm going simple with the Nova to get any easy "win" under my belt before I jump back into some of my more involved projects like my long-term '69 Vette.

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

EFI'd Hilborn BBC with T-56 six speed

IMG_2737.jpg

20+" Torque Thrust IIs from Revell '59 Vette, widened in the back to fit the flares

IMG_2258.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

Italian Red interior

IMG_1641.jpg

I'm just getting around to moving all my pics over to Photobucket, it seems that Imagestation is no longer around.

Anyways, the Nova is taking a bath right now to get the mold release off so I'm hoping to make some progress by this weekend.

You missed everything. :(

Kids will be Kids, I hope you have put a lock on the door, To prevent anymore mishap's :(. I once had a 57 t-bird that, I had almost completed when My Baby Girl, Got into the glue and Drizzled it all over the body and interior. Thanfully she didnt get into the hobby knives.

Welcome Back!

Gabriel.

well heres a run down

you missed:

when i came in here

when i started a war

when i ended the war

when i posted my first lowrider

when i got my big gun arsinal

when i nuked george53( :rolleyes::P:lol::P)

when crapn turned 65 million years old( :lol::P:P:P)

and when gregg closed the rant and rave section

oh and when california was hit by a 5.4 quake

i think thats all you missed :(

:rolleyes: Welcome home, Kyle. It's probly just as nutty as it was when you left.Thank God we haven't lost anyone to death, just to disallusionment (Can't please EVERYONE!) But we've gotten ALOT more members since you left, Me incluced! Hope to see that there Vette all finished up, cuz it looks GOOD so far! Welcome back!!! :(

:D Welcome home, Kyle. It's probly just as nutty as it was when you left.Thank God we haven't lost anyone to death, just to disallusionment (Can't please EVERYONE!) But we've gotten ALOT more members since you left, Me incluced! Hope to see that there Vette all finished up, cuz it looks GOOD so far! Welcome back!!! :lol:

Welcome back :) . Glad your building B) . Family is great. Things just happen. Wait'll ya retire - and the grandkids come over :(:blink::lol: . At least you can give those back ;)

Happy modeling - Dave

(When I was three, I painted all my dad's H.O. trains black - YUK :o )

Welcome back LOBBS. Try not to get too upset about what the kids do. Ive been through this. My son, who post on here as Willy survive, Used to destroy my models as fast as I could build them. Now he has two babies of his own and I WILL GET MY REVENGE!!!! :(:)B)

But seriously, If they take an interest in the hobby, Show them the ropes and maybe you will end up with another great builder like I did.

I also have an 8 year old that is just getting into building. its pretty cool to show them how to do it.

Ed

Yeah, my oldest boy when asked why he painted his mom's table, replied that he was wanting to build cars like me.

Here's their first efforts from a few years back, they would have been about 5 and 3 at the time. I'm pretty sure these are the only builds that have survived long enough to actually get pictures taken.

IMG_6101.jpg

IMG_6105.jpg

Sorry about the weird Day-Glo effect, they were taken with the old digicam right before it shot craps.

Guest promodmerc

Welcome back Lobbs.

I just returned after a 3-1/2 year hiatus. Mine didn't involve family. I was burned out after belonging to a model club for 11 years. I got inspired again from picking up one of the AMT Dirt Track cars. These are new teritory for me but I was tired of bulding street machines, street rods and drag cars.

BTW. I notice you are in Blue Springs. I live in Raytown.

BTW. I notice you are in Blue Springs. I live in Raytown.

Not a KC-area native (grew up in west-central Iowa until '93) but have found a home down here. The wife and I bounced back and forth between Independence (where she's from) and BS when we first got married. Finally, bought a house out here for the schools.

Back in my single days, we used to shoot pool down at the 24-hr pool hall, I believe off of 63rd and Raytown Rd.

What club did you belong to? The only one I know of is the Slammers. I've toyed with the idea of joining but I don't know if I'd ever have the time to really bring much to the table.

Welcome back to the forum. Your kids should be old enough soon to pick up a kit themselves. My son and daughter bothbuild occasionally just to be with me in my room. It cuts back on how much I can do, but they are only that age once. Even if yours don't want to build, although it sounds like they are kind of interested, invest in them now. The plastic can wait.

The vette looks good so far. I'm sure the Nova will look great.