Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Ford Galaxie 500

DEL

19 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

Wow Dwayne!  You don't waste any time getting another project under way

I have about four open projects constantly in rotation Greg.  Like the little gumballs in the machine you never know which one will come out of the chute once you turn the lever!;)

• 4 weeks later...

That's a nice rendition of the White Lightning era ASP Fords.  You even detailed the black in the hubcap ring.  Nice!

I see by the grille/bumper/hood it is supposed to be either a 71 or 72 Ford Custom or Galaxy.   Hmm,  it has no body spears to speak of.  It just looks like someone just got rid of a short piece of the thin bodyside molding on the original 70 Ford Galaxie kit.

Nevertheless a beautifully executed model. Kudos!

Oooo-Kay, Class!!

We have an update on rear bumper building this weekend.  Some would probably have just left the embedded backup lights alone where they are on the 70 Galaxie bumper and worked out from there but I couldn't do it.  They are almost right next to the lic plate opening to the left and right on the 70,  whereas they move over a few inches on the 71-72 Ford. It's a MAJOR PITA to cut them out and regraft them into the bumper for the sake of a scale few inches but it would not have seemed or looked right to me otherwise. Here goes..

Drill holes, then thread a jewelers coping saw blade thru and start carefully carving them out..

SAM_2202.JPG

Here they are removed.

SAM_2210.JPG

Then backfill the holes. (Also had to fill in the cutouts for the tailights on the 70 at each end of the bmpr)

SAM_2214.JPG

Using sheet styrene start to create the accent 'spears' left and right on bumper.

SAM_2217.JPG

Primed and ready to begin carving out new B/up light holes.

SAM_2223.JPG

Holes opened up, and I only got started on relocating one lense to the right. Going to try and make them "pluggable' so maybe they can be cast in clear and won't have to be made into the bumper & just be chrome.

SAM_2228.JPG

Edited by DEL

• 3 weeks later...

Now I've moved on to the front bumper. Another PITA because best I can tell... The front bumper turn signal lights on the 70 Galaxie kit are too small to be the proper ones for the 71 front bumper.  So gte this; after much study it came to me.  The old backup lights I relieved the 70 rear bumper of seem to be the perfect size for the 71 front bumper.  And vice versa for the backup lights. Simply put the backups become the front T/S's and the the frontT/S's become the backup lights!

A lot of work to sculpt this front bumper.  A few pics to show it in the first stage and very rough.

If you look at the pic the 71 frt. T/s's are somewhat larger and almost square. If you look above at where I removed the larger square-ish backup lights from the 70 bumper you may see how more appropriate they are for the front.

181021 - Front bumper build (2).JPG

Edited by DEL

Guy I work with bought a Registered Main Coon cat with papers.  A male & a female, and kittens (uh oh) were produced.  This is one of those supposedly that will get planet-punishing big.  That's a KITTEN, or teenage cat. It was Born in February this year.  It's 8 mos old, and already larger than the big male yard cat I have.  Kinda looks like a wolf, so I named him Lobo.

He gifted me with this guy in July and I swear he's almost doubled in size since.  He's doing promo shots for me modeling the 71 Galaxie. :D  (actually he jumped up and took up residence on my work bench.  An animal this large goes where it pleases pretty much, so.. he's uh, modeling.)

181021 - Toby models a 71 Galaxie 500 (2).JPG

Edited by DEL

• 4 weeks later...

A little more progress on the 71.

181120 - 71 Galaxy 500 (6).JPG

Das Butt. :-)  I used the wrong compare pic. I used an LTD instead of the Custom 500 but you can see the bumper details.  The backup lights will be done in clear resin.

181120 - 71 Galaxy 500 (1).JPG

I know my cruddy camera is not being crystal clear but I was able to put the 'Galaxey500" script where it belonged, in the trunk valence panel. 

181120 - 71 Galaxy 500 (2).JPG

Edited by DEL

And a bit more for the front fascia..

Getting all those mods and that cutout just so is a bit of a headache.  Now what remains is to build the hl/grille assy and another project is mostly done!

181120 - 71 Galaxy 500 (8).JPG

181120 - 71 Galaxy 500 (9).JPG

181120 - 71 Galaxy 500 (11).JPG

1971 Ford Custom 500  grille.jpg

5bf5c799b99e6_181120-71Galaxy500(14).JPG.a7df7fe9743d0d78e50ea49b2d9ee3e8.JPG5bf5c7a9d56be_1971FordGalaxie500rf.jpg.bf2e26239938210a912cdd1b4dbc2225.jpg

Edited by DEL

21 hours ago, DEL said:

And a bit more for the front fascia..

Getting all those mods and that cutout just so is a bit of a headache.  Now what remains is to build the hl/grille assy and another project is mostly done!

181120 - 71 Galaxy 500 (8).JPG

181120 - 71 Galaxy 500 (9).JPG

181120 - 71 Galaxy 500 (11).JPG

1971 Ford Custom 500  grille.jpg

5bf5c799b99e6_181120-71Galaxy500(14).JPG.a7df7fe9743d0d78e50ea49b2d9ee3e8.JPG5bf5c7a9d56be_1971FordGalaxie500rf.jpg.bf2e26239938210a912cdd1b4dbc2225.jpg

Awesome details, but the opening in the middle of the bumper looks like it should be more square. Check your pics. 

Me likey!

Thanks Jef!

And thanks to you OCG, believe me I am not done with that front bumper by a longshot. Getting that center cut/bump-out just right.. well, ...it's been a journey to get it to this point.  I've got pics from 17 different directions an it just defies description to me to get it just right so far.

But  I'm not done yet...? 

Edited by DEL