Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Minicraft 1955 Mercedes 300SL

Casey

3 hours ago, BVC500 said:

I have it, but haven't built it. It's more detailed than the 1/16 Italeri version, but the Italeri version more accurately captures the 300sl's look. The greenhouse on this kit is too squashed IMO.

Thanks. I didn't even realize either of these two existed, but here's a look at the parts breakdown in the Italeri Cabriolet version, which I'm assuming shares most of it's parts with the coupe?:

72111800_614.jpg

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Mercedes-Benz-SL-300-Cabrio.html

You need both kits to make a really good one. The Minicraft is a 1970s Gakken tool and thus shows its age, however, it's showing it with pride, having a much nicelier done tube frame, suspension and drivetrain setup. The Italieri has the better interior and body, so use the oily bits from the Minicraft and the shiny stuff from the Italeri.

Or just sod it, build the one you have and be happy.

The Italeri has some better detail BUT their Gullwing body is incorrect, and the Minicraft/Entex/etc version is better. Italeri made a very accurate roadster body (except for the windshield)  which, unfortunately, they adapted for the Gullwings. They are different bodies in the real world — besides the obvious differences, the roadster has more pronounced fenders and a larger grille, and you’ll see that if you compare Entex and Italeri.

PS: I always counsel Gullwing modelers to use the following references:

Use Google Images to search fantasyjunction Mercedes 300SL Gullwings (the cars will be shown against a red brick wall). Fantasy junction shows a huge amount of photo detail in every nook and cranny. All photos can be clicked to enlarge, though they’re large to begin with.

Dennis Adler’s book, “Mercedes-Benz 300SL,” is very thorough and heavily illustrated with color photos, and contains year-to-year spec and upgrade differences.