Model Cars Magazine Forum

49 ford gasser

Rotorbolt73

Haven't posted much here in a while. Figured I share a build currently on my desk. Most , if not all, of my builds are built from gluebombs , parts box and castoff " junk" . This one is no exception..Started out with a collection of various 49 / 50 Ford kit parts in a box just missing a body .Recently found a really rough 49 sedan body shell in a box of freebies at a club meeting. The roof was cut off and had a lot of body detail sanded off..but..I had a 49 roof in my parts along with interior bucket and chassis to get the build going. Since I'm not one to waste parts, I started working on salvaging this " junk". Not shown is the partial hood sides and reversed 57 roof that was glued on this body. Those came off pretty easy.

IMG_20181113_133929568_HDR.jpg

Since the molded in taillights had been sanded off, I needed something in the back since it looked soo blank..I decided to add in the custom taillight housings from the 50 convertible kit..they are a little too long , so I cut the solid ends off to shorten them down closer to the body. The taillights will be fitted into the now hollowed openings..it was at this point I decided to stay with as many 49/50 kit specific parts as possible. I set the build in my garage Dio for fun showing my mini crew hard at work on it..

IMG_20181116_193114264.jpg

Note that the optional custom grille cove/ rolled bumper section was already glued into the body. But the uppersection was broke off.. I had a stock hood that leaves the center notch to deal with..after looking at reference pics of the real cars , I noticed guys were removing the center grille bar/ bullet. So I did the same to make things work between the stock and custom parts. The moon tank fits in the middle to complete the look.

IMG_20181119_204613425.jpg

Decided to raise the front suspension a little for the desired gasser rake. Drilled holes on the very bottom of the lower A arms and through the bottom of the engine oil pan..I like using the old style metal axels when I can since they give a lot of strength to the wheels. Don't like wheels breaking off..I also added some "spacers" to the wheel backs, cut from a long post wheel back,  to bring the wheels out and for added strength. Filled in the unused axel holes in the frame with evergreen rod.

IMG_20181121_110159683_HDR.jpg

• 3 weeks later...