Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two Snaps Up!

Peter Lombardo

Revell Mustang snap kits

I have been surprised that the only version of the newest Mustang that Revell has offered is a snap kit.  I have at least 5 models, by Revell of the last two Mustang body styles and they are all full detail models.  I understand the fact that they are attempting to reach the younger modeler, but with full detail models of the Camaro’s, it seems odd that the new Mustang has been relegated to “snap status”.  Having said that, here are two versions of the snap kit that I have completed.

Version 1 is relatively stock.  I added outside rearview mirrors and wheels from the Lamborghini yam9HwFDzIcpgP2aZgqZfkGlb_mJOt-ZG72u0ZBl.  I lowered it down to the ground and gave it a two tone gold paint scheme with a solid stripe rather than the usual double stripe.DL72VGvvExahBCoZgvwwBX0H4UQy8yq-FS-tcBC5

Version 2 is a little more adventurous in that I converted it into a GT3 race car.   I followed the same design and used decals intended for the previous version Mustang GT3 as raced by the Marc VDS team made by Tailormadedecals of Germany.U8MCGzT4aQkQecYV0e4nhus8dSYLQETP-eyD6T0q

This body has extensive fender modifications similar to the way the other GT3 racecars look. I opened the doors which was rather difficult because the plastic on these snap kits is extra thick.  The interior tub and roll cage came from the BMW GT3 kit (Spot Models who sell the kit, offer a number of the spru trees for sale separately) so it was easy to obtain…… also, they offer the spru pieces for the Tamiya AMG GT3 kit, so I picked up two extra sets of those wheels and tires, and used one set on this car.hhxxP4S_JSJU6uQ8tZM7kgTKhh4qGHexBxmcTcMs  The rear wing, rearview mirrors and rear under deck diffuser came from one the Fujimi BMW GT3 Z4 kits (they are spares included in the kit) I added the fender louvers over the front wheels and added the exhaust vents on the hood…. In front to allow hot air out of the radiator, and the rear louvers to vent the hot engine compartment air.  _2xhuxIVzmcgRokiioDAJa_ajjwQ1c3Nn5eP1GVnsbU8MKfFd7MtouGYdG3-O1uA90RUkHMGrfx3RAdaAn extra set of road lights were added to the grille and I added the engine exhaust pipes just behind the front wheels.

Car is painted in Tamiya Silver Leaf and top coated with Tamiya Semi-Gloss clear.wNtndhe24bspeTCzz8YMP_MioG_epYJRV2H91vfB

Wow! I just keep seeing these works of art, and those two sure fit right in! Went to pick up one of the new mustang GT's, but saw it's a snap....what a disappointment so I passed. But- you sure did a good job of making something out of it. Those are both really nice finished products~**~

2 thumbs up and a kudo to boot