Model Cars Magazine Forum

General Modeling Advice?

11 minutes ago, tom q vaxy said:

...but enhancing it with the occasional "honey, you've been at it so long I thought you might be getting hungry. I made my world famous snicker-mores and here's a coffee to wash them down" does wonders for the morale...

Man, you live on a different planet from the one I'm on. Seriously...there are women like that?

I'd say start with an easy, no-drama kit. They DO exist. Figure out a few subjects you're interested in, then come on here and ask us about what kits of these subjects would be the best to start on. 

Don't be afraid to start with a "snapper" kit. Some of today's are quite good, and will let you practice getting a good finish without bogging you down with engine or chassis details (which can be tedious). 

Here's the tools I use most often and consider essential: Xacto knife (or similar), razor saw (for cutting parts off trees), a few small files, a 10" single cut flat bastard mill file, 3M Wetordry sandpaper (ask for it by name) in #320, #400, and #600 grits, Silver Sharpie for chrome trim. And of course a few paintbrushes and some basic paints--flat black, semigloss black, chrome silver, flat aluminum, flat steel, Stop Light Red and Turn Signal Amber. The specific project will dictate what other paints you'll need. 

Learn to "seek and destroy" all molding lines and edge flash. If you can do that, you'll actually be ahead of quite a few "intermediate" modelers here. 

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions. B)