Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors Acrylic bottle paint

I'm like some other people here getting back into model building. I'm seeing the same problem like others where the Testors is very watery when using a brush. Is there another brand that might be thicker? I guess the days of enamel paint is long gone. 

I just looked at bottle I just bought and the label said flammable. On the one label that gives the volume of the bottle at the top printer on a small red line it says enamel.

The other paints I have I bought years ago in a set that were all Acrylic.

I bought the new paint at Michaels.

Edited by R.D.F.

I've had VERY good results using their Clear Red and Clear Blue for touch-up work (and talillights, for the red). Love the stuff!

I used their Acryl Chevy Engine Red on an engine that someone else had already painted (red or orange, I don't remember which). I was pleasantly surprised with how well THAT little experiment turned out, too. I'll be doing it again, as I'm finding it hard to find the CER in my neighborhood anymore. 

Testors Model Master ice blue pearl acrylic, shot through my Paasche H.  Clear coated with Testors gloss acrylic clear, wet sanded and polished (to eliminate the very slightest orange peel that was likely from the primer)

IMG_20181223_104351589.jpg

Edited by rsxse240

For brush paints, and I struggled for a good bit, try Vallejo Model Air.  There Model Color is very nice as well but requires thinning.

Actually you may find Model Air requires thinning too.

Both need layering for best results.

There blacks, reds and blues are awesome for sure.  And for me, there Model Color woodgrain paints are just wonderful.

I'd pair this paint with a nice soft brush.

Lastly, if you do go Vallejo, a good shaking is a MUST.  And for this task get a Robart paint shaker.  Forget using ball bearings in the paint.  Some suggest it but I advise to error on the side of caution.

Edited by aurfalien

I've had NO problems brushing with Testor's bottle acrylics, and in fact I use them exclusively if they're available in the color I need.  To my mind there is no better flat or semi-gloss black than the acrylics.  Overall though, Testor's acrylics go on virtually brush mark free, they dry very fast, clean up easily, and have no odor.  My first choice for brushing paint.

22 hours ago, R.D.F. said:

James what is your trick to brushing ? I can stir up the paint really good and it's still watery.  

No real trick--I just shake and stir.  Occasionally I'll get a bottle that seems thin and fails to cover well, no matter what I do, but that's pretty rare.  For me the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.  If nothing else, get a bottle of Aircraft Interior black and try it for your flat black needs.  I swear by that stuff!!

On 1/6/2019 at 2:02 AM, R.D.F. said:

James what is your trick to brushing ? I can stir up the paint really good and it's still watery.  

Are you trying to cover with one coat? If the paint is thick enough to cover in one coat then you will see very pronounced brush marks in the finish. Thin paint levels much better. Lots of brush users thin the paint even more to get a smoother finish, and don't blink at needing several coats.

My experience with the Testors/Model Master enamels is that it will need two brush coats. I usually thin the paint slightly and sometimes need a third coat. I generally use Tamiya acrylics and it's not unusual to need a second brush coat with them as well.

I've also noticed that new enamel paint will always be a little thin no matter how much you stir or shake it, but on the plus side it lays down beautifully. I personally don't stir enamels, I put two or three BBs in the bottle and shake it for a couple of minutes. I just prefer to shake rather than stir. But you have to stir acrylics as shaking will put tiny air bubbles in the paint.

I should maybe mention just for your information that you should never put thinner in the paint bottle. For some reason that will ruin the paint after it sits for a while.