Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bare Metal Foil question.

Hey y'all, I'm in the process of building my revell 1:25, 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS model. It's the 2n1 kit where I can either make it a lowrider or stock from the factory. As someone who isn't in the low rider culture, I went with stock. I painted the main body in Duplicolor, Perfect Match primer and then base coated with Tamiya TS-53, deep blue metallic paint. I did 2 thin mist coats on it and one wet coat. It has been over 24 hours since that final base coat has dried. I tried installing the "Impala SS" decals on the rear quarter panel, but it failed. Both decals are disposed of and I have the flag fender decals installed perfectly. However, I am considering using BMF for the Impala SS quarter panel marking. Ok, here is the question..Should I put the BMF on the model in it's current stage or after I have clear coated it?

You can do it either way.

The ultimate solution would have been to apply it before the color was finished using the "foil under paint" technique, but at this point, it won't matter much.

You might find it easier to apply it before clear coat just because the script will be crisper.

Clear coat over the top of a small script won't affect the chrome finish much, and will actually help protect the foil.

Steve