Model Cars Magazine Forum

Larry Shinoda’s Boss 302

dragmodels44

Hello everyone, I wanted to post some pics of my in progress Larry Shinoda 69 Boss 302. With the release of the Revell Boss 302, and seeing that it looked like a decent kit I thought I’d finally get the Shinoda Boss done. I dug up my articles that I had on his car and began collecting the parts.

His Boss started life as an “R” code 428 Cobra Jet ram air, C6 automatic Mach 1. Painted in Pastel Gray with a black interior with factory A/C.  His had a custom steering wheel that had the letters “LB” on the horn button, which stood for Larry’s Boss. I fabricated an automatic shifter handle and painted the rear spoiler supports chrome, as his was. The original rear spoiler sagged in the middle as it was too light.The rear window slats or louvers  were also prototypes that differed from the final production ones. I removed the top and bottom supports but the side edges will have to stay, otherwise they’ll fall thru the window. 

I also managed to find some small FORD decals that he had at the edges of the rear spoiler. A nice surprise about the kit was upon checking the parts, they included the correct Mach 1 428 ram air shaker, ( which 69 Boss 302’s did not have the ram air option until 1970 )and the line to cut the hood open is scribed underneath. That solved the problem of finding a shaker. I decided on Racing White as it’s not as bright as Pure White. Ford Pastel Gray would be hard to match, but does sort of look like an off white.

This will be a curbside, so I’ll finish it soon! I’ve go so many started and in progress stages. Hope you all like it.

C8C8EEBA-3B44-48C6-BC04-8401C2BC7454.jpeg

BCECA15E-9055-43F2-A46C-2100EDB6DF05.jpeg

4DFCD19B-CC5F-4E35-B3C4-AB999EABAF72.jpeg

B3C33A89-6631-40B3-B2A5-2E5553208FB3.jpeg

UPDATE: Well, after a disaster with clearing it, ( too many drips probably due to too much reducer ) I decided to strip it and start over. When that seemed like it was not going to work because the clear was pretty dry and it was becoming more of a mess I figured I’d just start over with a new kit. No one has them, and from what I understand its sold out and may be reissued in July. 

I decided to go another route after looking at the article again... now it will be as found, with 20 years of grime, rust and weathered. Here’s the progress so far.  I also made a copy of the photo when it was found which will be against the back of the case. Thanks for looking.

1883CBF0-BC6D-43C1-9499-40C083C5FA3F.jpeg

Cool idea to do the car as it was found.  I have the body ready for primer but now you have me thinking going another route with my 2nd one.  If you want to omit the Shelby roll bar mount the 70 Mach1 interior will fit.  At least your car will be mostly one color unlike my 70 Palmer Boss 302.

IMG_3962.JPG

I made a little more progress. The engine is detailed painted and I added a comp resins C6 automatic. the interior is done,  and I added the correct automatic shifter and his custom steering wheel. I need the 2nd kit to finish the stripes, by cutting a piece of the black portion and covering the BOSS name, as the 1st one did not have the BOSS 302 in the stripes yet. I started scuffing the chrome and will begin the weathering/rusting after the chassis is finished. I decided as long as I was going this route I would weather the engine compartment, engine and under the hood. Hopefully it will be convincing!

9C271EBD-828F-4BD5-AC88-7A1CB41BA38C.jpeg

0D2B34FB-8775-4703-9A49-4CB0844F2B78.jpeg