Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project '37 Ford Sedan rat rod!

While I'm tooling around with, or try to, some other projects that's grounded to a halt (thanks to the workload), I was looking at this '37 again.... 

As it is, she'll become in the end, hopefully, a fenderless rat rod.... 

I have no intention of using them there modern thingmajigs in the front/rear end, old school is the way forward sometimes! 

Which would be the best kit to borrow the front and rear axle from, is there a kit out there where I can get the complete frame (when nobody's looking), should that be easier? Many thanks! 

IMG_20190311_161056.jpg

IMG_20190311_160938.jpg

23 minutes ago, Casey said:

Keeping things in 1/24 scale, any one of the 1/24 Monogram '32 Ford Roadster, '29 Ford Pickup, '36 Ford, or '40 Ford Pickup would be make good donors for traditional '60s style suspension parts.

Thanks Casey, I'll pick one, or a couple, up this month then!

13 minutes ago, Draggon said:

Look on your parts trees, that kit used to have a nice dropped axle. It might still be there. 

Yip, it's still there Glenn!

Too focused on those other things! :rolleyes::lol:

46 minutes ago, Casey said:

Keeping things in 1/24 scale, any one of the 1/24 Monogram '32 Ford Roadster, '29 Ford Pickup, '36 Ford, or '40 Ford Pickup would be make good donors for traditional '60s style suspension parts.

I'll bet that '40 Ford pickup chassis would fit right in there with a minor wheelbase adjustment.

Not sure how it is for accuracy, but I found a lot of similarities between the basic chassis design of the Revell/Monogram '37 Ford P/U or Panel Delivery and the '37 Ford Coupe.  

Though the truck kits did not come with performance parts or suspension, one could modify them if you feel creative.

The '37 pickup/panel trucks are 1/25 scale and the '37 sedan is 1/24.  But right here on this board, IIRC, some other people have said that truck chassis is a pretty good fit under the sedan, despite the scale difference.  The trucks also have stock '37 wheels.  So even more possibilities for you.

Looking forward to see what you do with this build, Jan. The Revell '37 is a great kit.

What have you in mind for an engine?  The Flathead Merc in the Monogram '40 Ford Pickup, is a simple, but sharp engine. Better than the engine in the Monogram '36 Ford Coupe, IMHO.