[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
jaxenro

Disteel Wheels Model T

Attached is a pic of the Disteel wheel I had printed for the Ford Model T ICM Speedster kit to convert it to Disteel disc wheels - these were a popular aftermarket item for model T speedsters. Going to have some resin copies made it is a bit hard to see the details once I get the paint on them they will pop more but they match the prototype photo pretty good. Shown with the tire from the speedster kit

Wheel.jpg

Disteel 23.jpg

Yes I had the wheel printed the tire is from the ICM kit. I am going to have one printed in brass (technically they print in wax then do a lost wax casting) and use that to make resin copies. The brass is smoother than the plastic when printed and takes and holds details really well Shapeways uses it for jewelry

I don't have other model T kits in 1/24 or 1/25 to see what the wheels fit but it should fit many of the early style skinny tires like this

Edited by jaxenro

Question: Does resin shrink at all when casting? Should I increase the diameter by 2 to 3% to account for this when having the master made?

This is what the 3D model looks like (several of the prototype photos I found had the acorn nuts I thought they looked better)

3D Wheel.jpg

Edited by jaxenro

Are you going to produce these for sale ?  I would be interested in a couple sets if so.

Add me to the List! I want at least 2 sets!!!

Yes I am producing for sale. I plan a series of T parts including photo etch frame rails, leaf springs, resin engine parts like DOHC heads, etc

i am working with a professional caster with the correct equipment so no bubble filled castings. I will post here when I have them ready. Eventually I plan a web site as my line expands

there were literally hundreds of aftermarket companies offering speed parts for T’s from bodies to engine hop ups even a 4 wheel drive kit so there is lots to do

Bit off topic but here is the 4 wheel drive kit offered as far back as 1923 - maybe before I need to check - plus some installations

Ford T 4 Wheel Drive 01.jpg

Ford T 4 Wheel Drive 02.jpg

Ford T 4 Wheel Drive 03.jpg

Ford T 4 Wheel Drive 04.jpg

I'm very interested in a set of these wheels for a vintage speeder I'm formulating. Please let us know when they are ready, and if they fit any other, more widely available kit tires

Will do. Do you have any kit tires in mind I will eBay some kits and see what fits

I plan to offer some vintage tires to fit but that is down the road a little

Wheels sized to fit the tires in one of the widely available and many times reissued in several different varieties 1925 and 1923 Model T kits from AMT would be awesome.

The ICM Ford Model T kits are great kits and very well detailed, however they are not nearly as common as the AMT kits. And 2-3 times as expensive when you find one.

The wheels look great. Looking forward to seeing them in resin.