Model Cars Magazine Forum

Partial to Monte Carlos too

Shambles

Besides being a Corvette enthusiast, I've also been partial to Monte Carlos. I've owned a '73, a '74 454, a 94 Z34, and a 2002 SS. This is the only Monte Carlo model I remember building many years ago. Not my best paint job but looked pretty good from a few feet away.

85 MONTE2.JPG

85 MONTE 3.JPG

85 MONTE 4.JPG

Edited by Shambles
delete a photo

Not a kit you see being done often anymore. The interior picture looks as if the hood in the background that you added stripes to the hood ? Like you I'm a Monte Carlo fan and previous owner. I had a super clean 1 owner '72 and a new '86 SS that I sold in 2001. Both provided perfect service with only standard maintenance and both saw 100k miles.    

I have two MCs - the notchback in burgundy and the aero coupe in silver.  And several parts kits for some reason.  I built one in red at some point as well - why did Chevy never offer that car in bright red???  

4 hours ago, randyc said:

I have two MCs - the notchback in burgundy and the aero coupe in silver.  And several parts kits for some reason.  I built one in red at some point as well - why did Chevy never offer that car in bright red???  

The first year model MCSS's were White with Blue interiors. Late in the model year and into '75 they added a Mt. Blue or White. For '76 they added a Dark Maroon and Black and I think the Blue went away or I don't recall seeing one. They added the Aero rear Window to make it legal for NASCAR and those were a hard sell at the time. They trunk opening was almost nonexistent and the fit and finish around the rear conversion left a bit to be desired. I agree that a good bright Red might have helped sell a few more. 

- 1983 - White or Blue exterior with blue graphics, two tone white and blue bench seat interior with woodgrain accents.  Steel rally wheels with trim rings.

- 1984 - White or Blue exterior with blue graphics, solid blue interior, bench or buckets available with woodgrain accents.  I seems they went half way with these years to guage interest, since most interior parts were not specific to the SS.

- 1985 - White, Silver, Burgandy and Black exteriors, red or burgandy multi toned stripes based on the color, with Burgandy or Gray interiors, black brushed interior accents with red striping, bench, 60/40 or bucket seats.

- 1986 - White, Silver, Burgandy and Black exteriors, red or burgandy multi toned stripes based on the color, with Burgandy or Gray interiors, black brushed interior accents with red striping, bench, 60/40 or bucket seats.  Aluminum 5 spoke wheels replaced the steels, third brake light was bolted in and and T-tops became available.

- 1987 - White, Silver, Burgandy and Black exteriors, red, gray or gold  multi toned stripes with purchaser's choice, with Burgandy,  Gray or Tan plush interiors, Aerocoupe is added.

- 1988 - Same as 1987, however, the brochure listed Gold as an additional color, but was never produced.

My previous Montes:  '71, '72, '74, '80, '85 SS, Silver with Gray (my first new car), 2002 SS, Silver with Black.

I guess I've had a Monte sickness.

Edited by early iron

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I caught the Monte bug in my early 30s. I guess my favorite was the 1974 "Monster Monte" with the factory 454, gauge package and swivel buckets. I kept the original finned wheels but put some Z28 rims painted black on it and added a couple of 454 emblems. Wish I'da hung on to that car!

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 1.jpg

Photo 4.jpg

_hoto_3.04f55419378049ec76d2217e9c7d3632

Photo 3b.jpg

Edited by Shambles
resize photos