Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 'Cuda 340

Fish_65

So, I hope I don't jinx myself because it seems like every WIP I've started on a forum never got finished...wish me luck lol

Got the new Revell '70 AAR kit in the mail last week. My immediate thought for the car was to build a 340 4 barrel car, not an AAR.

I have the 1st release of the Revell Hemi "Cuda kit too and plan on building the Hemi car with the Shaker hood (aka, the I.Q.E.C.A.G hood). I will be using the extra hood from the Hemi 'Cuda on this build (two-scoop/Rallye). I robbed the single 4 barrel intake, carb & air cleaner from the AMT 340 Duster kit and I'm hoping those play well with the Revell 340 from the kit. I also have a set of Fred Cady 'Cuda decals which have the 340 Hockey Stick Stripes and the 340 hood emblems.

IMG_6432.JPG

IMG_6435.JPG

IMG_6433.JPG

IMG_6434.JPG

Edited by Fish_65

Last night I thought I would address the "Elephant Rearend" in the room...the kit's Dana 60. It took me quite a while to find a suitable/usable Chrysler 8 3/4" rear axle as most Mopar kits have a Dana 60. 

I settled on the 8 3/4" from the AMT '58 Plymouth kit. It was very close in overall width and axle tube diameter to the Dana 60. So I basically cut the axle ends off the Dana 60 and put them on the 8 3/4". Before removing the axle ends I drilled a .060" hole through both housings so I could locate and pin the ends. That gave me factory kit attachment and the ability to use the kit wheel mounting.

Cuda8.75.jpg

CudaAxle.jpg

CudaDana60.jpg

Edited by Fish_65

Hey John, I'm pretty happy with the axle swap. The "pig"/carrier doesn't look 100% accurate, but I'm OK with it.

I can't believe I got everything to sit still long enough to get a pic without falling apart...nothing is glued together yet.

IMG_6437.JPG

IMG_6438.JPG

IMG_6439.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Got a little bit done on the 'Cuda project last night.

The AMT Duster 340 intake seems to work fine and the engine got painted with some genuine Mopar Street Hemi Orange paint. Took a lot for me to decide on what color to paint the car itself, but finally decided to go with Testors Vitamin C (aka Dodge Go Mango). Was a bit bummed out that the Testors paint does not have any metallic in it...Vitamin C/Go Mango were metallic colors.

Next big decision will be interior color...black or white ?

IMG_6491.JPG

IMG_6492.JPG

IMG_6493.JPG

IMG_6495.JPG

• 5 months later...

I've been back on this project...finally. The last 8 months of my life have been crazy busy and I'm glad to be back at the model bench.

One of the stumbling blocks I had was the exhaust and just recently fixed that. I also have a Sox & Martin kit to pilfer some parts from and thankfully Revell left some "street Hemi" parts in the kit. 

So I cut the side exit tailpipes off the mufflers and used the tailpipes from the Hemi Cuda kit. It was a super simple way to eliminate the side exhaust. Wish I would have thought about it earlier.

Not sure if resonators are correct for a 340 car, but that's what I'm doing.

20200103_174126_resized.jpg

20200103_174146_resized.jpg

20200103_174444_resized.jpg

20200103_180027_resized.jpg

Edited by Fish_65

I don't believe that the 340 ( nor the 383-HP and 440 Super Commando ) had the resonators ; maybe even the 440+6 was sans the resonators . 

Then there's the N97 Noise Reduction Package (turn-down exhaust tips , chiefly) . While all the info I've read alludes to that being exclusively a California-model requisite with the 440+6 / Torqueflite , I have seen other California-destined ( N95 ) engine / trans combos with the N97 .

Nice build ! Keep up the great work !