Model Cars Magazine Forum

Asphalt Modified Tires Question

Plastic Performance Products have a range of 1/24/1/25 scale Asphalt Modified Tires such as these. I realise that the real tires are primarily for dry asphalt surface road racing.

My question is would these be credible alternatives for drag and NASCAR models, or for "unofficial" stock, custom, or hot rod race cars ?

Image result for plastic performance products Image result for plastic performance products

Hi David, easily the most critical part of any model car in turns of finished appearance is the tires.  Size and shape, in my mind, are infinitely more important than tread or sidewall detail.  If those PPP tires look good on your car, they are right for your car! 

I would much rather run tires on my models that make the finished product look right than use a tire that is technically more correct but maybe not quite the right diameter or profile.  So yes, they can be a credible alternative.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan, that's the answer I was hoping for !

I've already tried PPP's NASCAR 60-64 & 65-69 style, treaded tires on some models, and they look great. I just wanted to try some other alternatives.

I really don't like undersized, or skinny tires on American muscle cars, anything smaller than the L60-15 Polyglas, or G70-15's styles, just doesn't cut it, IMHO. 

David.

This thread brings about a very old memory. Years ago when I was building a lot of short track modified and class A coupes and sedans ( 40 fords, 36 Fords cut down using flathead or small block engines etc. and long before any kits of these came out) I used slot car tires. We had a commercial slot car track and local hobby shop that supported it with tires of many sizes. Anyway, those looked better than any kit tires I ever found even though there was no lettering. Might not work on a muscle car but it worked great for circle track cars.

They actually had treaded tires too, I put a Model A sedan street rod on the slot car track and used the chrome wheels from a kit and treaded slot car tires on the back, it looked awesome going around the track.