Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lamp guard

I bought some of the Czech PE ones,very nice, even though I have no big rig truck model.  Just not seeing them on any finished models. Twenty years ago I'd see them on owner operator rigs during my cross country drives, sometimes what looked like near 50 of them on one rig.

Well that would be quite expensive if you are going to do that with the CTM light kits, there are only 10 lamps in the kit and Jamie at Moluminum takes $6.50 each.
So count how many lamps you need, divide with 10 so you get how many sets you need and take that number times 6.50. ;)

The pic I posted is overkill for sure, but can it be the cost of accessory lights that kills off modelling of show trucks??  Four or five at the bottom of the cab each side would be enough I would think.

The CTM lights are very nice and they have them both in red and orange and a couple of styles, I have bought a couple of sets for future builds but haven't used them yet but I intend to on the right build.
But it do add up if you want to do something like the truck above (we call them "cristmas trees" over here), I counted the ones I see on the side to 38 just on the tractor alone and I have for sure missed a couple, so that's at least 76-78 lights for both sides, 11-12 under the bumper, and god knows how many there are on the back wall of the sleeper as it looks to be more than a few if you look at the reflection on the front of the trailer, and then you have all the lights on the trailer on top of that. 
Lets say you need around 100 lights total (a nice round figure) to do a similar tractor-trailer combination, that's 65 bucks just on lights, 50 lights is half of that, you can of course use less lights but you don't get the "christmas tree" feeling if you use too few.
The combination in your picture above certainly have a lot more than 100 lights and is as you say a bit overkill...but not that uncommon.
So that's probably one reason, I think another reason is what style the build is as it decides what lights you use and how many, because old trucks from the late 60's and 70's as most of the kits we have now are doesn't have lots of accessory lights on them although there are exceptions.

Edited by Force