Model Cars Magazine Forum

Organizing my storage area

One of my goals for the summer months is to go through my storage area in the garage and organize/cull my ‘archives’. There were a number of boxes I had not inspected since before I went to grad school over a decade ago, so I didn’t know what I would find. After opening up the boxes, this is the stack of books and magazines (minus several shopping bags full of paperbacks) which are going to be sorted and articles removed. I didn’t find any models I didn’t know about, but I did find a lava lamp that had survived over 10 years of extreme temperature shifts, but still worked! Now to finish repacking and get on with checking out the models.

B5C90A5D-C792-4E5F-9BCE-55FE05F68F3E.jpeg

ADE6CCF6-7591-4D95-B36C-5986B40C2545.jpeg

3D7D8435-B734-4418-A266-4F4E92C66956.jpeg

PLEASE get that debris off of the Comet.  Since your "shop" is in the garage and you said the climate is uncontrolled you might want to think about some plastic sealable storage tubs. This will minimize moisture exposure and hungry rodents. Another idea, when time and money are available, would be to insulate the walls and even put up sheet rock. With a small space heater you might be amazed at the improvement. This has made a very big difference in my own garage, but we don't often see the extreme cold you have to deal with.  

9 hours ago, espo said:

PLEASE get that debris off of the Comet.  Since your "shop" is in the garage and you said the climate is uncontrolled you might want to think about some plastic sealable storage tubs. This will minimize moisture exposure and hungry rodents. Another idea, when time and money are available, would be to insulate the walls and even put up sheet rock. With a small space heater you might be amazed at the improvement. This has made a very big difference in my own garage, but we don't often see the extreme cold you have to deal with.  

Getting the debris off the Comet is one of the goals of this clean-up, though I can't do much about insulation or heating in this garage without framing in a work area. The garage is a 40'x60' steel structure, so it will stay as strictly storage. I have several plastic storage tubs, and they have worked very well.

2 minutes ago, 64Comet404 said:

Getting the debris off the Comet is one of the goals of this clean-up, though I can't do much about insulation or heating in this garage without framing in a work area. The garage is a 40'x60' steel structure, so it will stay as strictly storage. I have several plastic storage tubs, and they have worked very well.

Ken, I thought you were buying a travel trailer for your workshop

I thought about it, Steve, but it's so much nicer working inside the (climate controlled) house than in a trailer. Once I clean the garage, I can move some more stuff out of the house and set up a permanent work bench once again. As it is, I have managed to get rid of all those boxes that were sitting in front of the storage racks when you were here.