Model Cars Magazine Forum

Never Forget. EVER! 18 years ago today.

BaBaBooey

23 minutes ago, kitbash1 said:

I was at work in my cubical listening to Howard Stern when it happened. We had a TV in the lunchroom and a group of us spent the morning glued to the TV. My boss told me they were closing the office early and he gave me a ride to the train station. As i was sitting on the platform, I noticed that it was quiet as there were no planes in the air going to land at Person Airport. And when the train stopped at Toronto Union Station, there were police walking around the platform with heavy weapons. 

Howard spent an hour this week talking about it. As out there as he is and the show is, he is a true New Yorker, true American. Brutally honest. I'm a fan(^^^obviously^^^). I really enjoyed his interview with Robert O'Neil. 

23 minutes ago, BaBaBooey said:

Howard spent an hour this week talking about it. As out there as he is and the show is, he is a true New Yorker, true American. Brutally honest. I'm a fan(^^^obviously^^^). I really enjoyed his interview with Robert O'Neil. 

Yea, I could tell you were a fan!   Howard was originally the local afternoon drive time DJ on AM radio in NYC.  I used to commute an hour to work in those days, my father and I worked in the same company and drove together.  He wasn't so over the top back then.  His  persona was more the "every man" story of being a family man in suburban NY.  One bit I remember was that his wife made envelopes with Christmas bonuses for the various services, like mail and trash removal.  He said they put a note on the trash barrel to knock on the door.  And they did. That's when he noticed his wife addressed the envelope to "Garbage".  He talked about his apprehension of handing an envelope addressed to "Garbage" to another human being! It was funny.

I actually got to meet Howard and have drinks with him!  He announced he was going to do a live event at Club Benet, which was a small dinner theater in Sayreville, NJ.  My dad and I agreed we wanted to go, and we dragged my wife and mother, who had no idea who Howard was, along for the evening.   As luck would have it, we were seated at the table right next to his wife and parents.  He singled them out during the show.  We got talking with them, and after the show was over, Howard came and sat with his family and talked with us.  Back then he had short hair and looked like any suburban dad.   We had no idea where his career would go!

Edited by Tom Geiger

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Yea, I could tell you were a fan!   Howard was originally the local afternoon drive time DJ on AM radio in NYC.  I used to commute an hour to work in those days, my father and I worked in the same company and drove together.  He wasn't so over the top back then.  His  persona was more the "every man" story of being a family man in suburban NY.  One bit I remember was that his wife made envelopes with Christmas bonuses for the various services, like mail and trash removal.  He said they put a note on the trash barrel to knock on the door.  And they did. That's when he noticed his wife addressed the envelope to "Garbage".  He talked about his apprehension of handing an envelope addressed to "Garbage" to another human being! It was funny.

I actually got to meet Howard and have drinks with him!  He announced he was going to do a live event at Club Benet, which was a small dinner theater in Sayreville, NJ.  My dad and I agreed we wanted to go, and we dragged my wife and mother, who had no idea who Howard was, along for the evening.   As luck would have it, we were seated at the table right next to his wife and parents.  He singled them out during the show.  We got talking with them, and after the show was over, Howard came and sat with his family and talked with us.  Back then he had short hair and looked like any suburban dad.   We had no idea where his career would go!

That's quite the memory. Part of his hour long discussion about 9/11 was how The Daily News prints the names of EVERY person that died. He always points out the guy he knew when he was younger and stayed in some limited contact over the years, that perished that day. 

On 9/12/2019 at 12:43 AM, peteski said:

I remember it well. I also remember that evening how quiet the sky was with no airplanes flying anywhere.  It was eerie.

As far as remembering goes, there are 18 year old young adults who weren't even born when 9/11 happened.  They can't remember, but should be reminded.

Good point, I've got 3 nephews that know about this, but they know the way I know about ww1 ww2,and all the rest. So far 9/11 is the biggest.

On September 12, 2019 at 8:58 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yes, and most especially when we hear cowardly phrases like "some people did something", or the New York Times' idiotic tweet yesterday saying "airplanes took aim and brought down the World Trade Center".

Ban me if I'm over the political line, but some things need to be said, whether they make people uncomfortable or not.

The United States of America was attacked viciously and without warning on Sept. 11, 2001, with more killed than at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941...most of them innocent, defenseless civilians.

Never forget.

AMEN!!!!!!!

On 9/12/2019 at 3:43 AM, peteski said:

As far as remembering goes, there are 18 year old young adults who weren't even born when 9/11 happened.  They can't remember, but should be reminded.

Part of the 9-11 coverage on Philadelphia news was a mother and her high school senior son.  She said she was pregnant on 9-11 and her son was born shortly there after.   A new generation born after the event.   

9-11 was the worst attack on America.  More people were killed on this day than at Pearl Harbor, and it was an attack on American civilians on mainland America.  Pearl Harbor was an attack on our military, on a US possession 2400 miles from California. Hawaii became a state in 1958.

33 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Part of the 9-11 coverage on Philadelphia news was a mother and her high school senior son.  She said she was pregnant on 9-11 and her son was born shortly there after.   A new generation born after the event.   

9-11 was the worst attack on America.  More people were killed on this day than at Pearl Harbor, and it was an attack on American civilians on mainland America.  Pearl Harbor was an attack on our military, on a US possession 2400 miles from California. Hawaii became a state in 1958.