Model Cars Magazine Forum

Great Dane Extendable Flat Bed Trailer question

6 hours ago, NothingAsFineAsaW9 said:

On the trailers I hauled they were set factory at 3 to 3 1/2 feet from the trailer nose. 

34 minutes ago, 37 caddy said:

As a rule the 5th wheel was set between the two rear wheels,or on a single axle it was directly over the wheels..That was how it was done back in the day. Harvey

Thank you both for your replies. My goal is to place the plate on the frame such that the 5th wheel is right in the middle of it AND the front edge of the trailer lines up with the top of the fenders in front of the drive wheels.

Bill, without digging the kits out of the stash to check to be sure, but I'm almost certain that with the Freightliner the fifth wheel is movable as it is in almost any AMT kit. All you will have to do is glue the kingpin in place on the trailer as the instructions show and there should be a hole for it in the front plate in the trailer already, glue the fifth wheel plate in place on the truck frame, then take the slider and fifth wheel and place it on the plate and then line up the front edge of the trailer with your quarter fenders. Then just very carefully lift the trailer off the fifth wheel so you don't move it and either make a mental note where it is sitting or take a fine Sharpie or pencil to make a small mark to mark the location of the fifth wheel and glue it to "lock" it in place. That is what I do with mine and also did it on the 1:1s I used to drive, because not only did it give a nice, clean look to them but also in the case of the 1:1s, it also made it much easier to scale out the axle weights using just the sliding tandems on the trailers because as a few others already said, it basically centered the fifth wheel between the drive axles and made the weight there much more consistent.