Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Montego GT

yellowsportwagon

So this has been in my bench for about 6 years now. 

I think it’s time to finish it. It is the worst resin casting I ever saw. Full I mean full of pinholes. Frt and rear bumpers and frt balance were unusable. So I made new ones. Far from perfect but usable. Has a Johan Torino Chassis and the underhood structure from a Revell Torino that I cut out for a nascar build. Engine is a Roush Yates 358 Ford. Pegasus wheels and parts box tires.

DFA78BAE-199B-4DFD-82F4-EC270272141A.jpeg

40A9266B-7789-489A-BF7E-501492045AAD.jpeg

61319534-2F87-433C-AA84-B62DDD704F9D.jpeg

FCDC7B8D-1D44-4746-8B8C-EAFA930849DD.jpeg

At this point you have a great looking Montego. That dark Green color might not hide much in body imperfections,  so it's hard to realize just how bad the original casting must have been. I'd say you made a great save here. 

5 minutes ago, yellowsportwagon said:

But it had to be that color. 

FA6AEF68-1E49-4355-A7ED-0924AED65995.jpeg

21955232-27B4-41EB-AF21-9704AB52D873.jpeg

That 1:1 Montego is beautiful looking. Is this yours ? If so I fully understand, I have tried to build models of some of my former vehicles and it has been a challenge depending on the vehicle and the color. mot to mention if a particular body style had ever been modeled. If you don't mind my asking what part of Illinois are you in. Much of my younger life was spent in the burbs of Chicago and I once was a Barrington Broncho. 

48 minutes ago, espo said:

That 1:1 Montego is beautiful looking. Is this yours ? If so I fully understand, I have tried to build models of some of my former vehicles and it has been a challenge depending on the vehicle and the color. mot to mention if a particular body style had ever been modeled. If you don't mind my asking what part of Illinois are you in. Much of my younger life was spent in the burbs of Chicago and I once was a Barrington Broncho. 

I’m in the  South west Suburbs  and yes the big one is mine.

Edited by yellowsportwagon

On 1/13/2020 at 8:16 PM, yellowsportwagon said:

It’s not done just setting together. It should be done tonight I hope. I bought it second hand from some guy on the bay.  He had started it then gave up. Luckily he gave up real early. But I can see why he gave up. It was bad. Real bad.

I am curious if I was that guy. Mine was bought then sold on Ebay.  Tough model. Again, i am impressed.  What sort of drivetrain do you have in your 1,:1?

4 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

I am curious if I was that guy. Mine was bought then sold on Ebay.  Tough model. Again, i am impressed.  What sort of drivetrain do you have in your 1,:1?

Mines just a 2 bbl Cleveland. But it’s super original. Only had 62000 miles on it. Never been tampered with before me.