Model Cars Magazine Forum

thank you for letting me join the community

toshik

I've been assembling plastic Tamiya models in the past. Got recently interested in diecast models and will need some advise. I have compressor setup, just not sure what to use on metal diecast models for primer and paint. I still have plenty of Tamiya enamel paint however primer and patch IMHO specifically made for plastic. So not certain whether it would work for metal, also stripping would be an issue for restoring old builds. Thanks!

Tony....welcome to the forum.  I have re-painted many a diecast and if you don't strip the paint off you don't need primer.  If it has tampo printing on it that can be removed with nail polish remover and that won't or shouldn't hurt the paint underneath. Most diecast are dipped in their basecoat and it is pretty resilient. Scrub it down with a toothbrush and scouring powder, dry it good and you are ready to go. Tamiya lays out smooth the best over a shiny surface and has great adhesion. If the paint on your diecast is not so good then that is a different story. Then you will have to strip it. That is all up to you to decide. Most of the diecast I have seen has pretty decent paint on it. Hope all this helps. 

Thank you! From what I understand people take it serious when priming the metal and also put multiple layers of enamel. Would it be safe to assume that Walamart canned spray enamel is a compromise comparing to compressor painting? Good news - found a can of Tamiya surface primer for both plastic and metal.   

• 2 weeks later...

My wife paints lead D&D figures. If you have bare metal, the best thing is to use an etching prep on it. I use Jasco Metal Prep, and it works well. It should work well on the Zamac used in diecast bodies. Properly cleaning and degreasing is also important. Handle the bodies with gloves after you clean them. Definitely use a primer if you're working from bare metal. Other than that, the Tamiya paints, or enamels should work just fine.

• 3 weeks later...