Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '29 Ford Roadster PU

On 3/14/2020 at 8:31 PM, Roadrunner said:

And the anomalies just keep piling up; no engine cooling fan, no brake cylinder, no coil or other ignition device, no steering column,...

As far as an ignition device, the kit engine has a magneto instead of a distributor so no external coil is required. I cannot recall but the master brake cylinder may be on the firewall. 

5 hours ago, Toner283 said:

As far as an ignition device, the kit engine has a magneto instead of a distributor so no external coil is required. I cannot recall but the master brake cylinder may be on the firewall. 

I appreciate that, but someone had already been good enough to enlighten me on that, as I had no idea. No brake cylinder though, not anywhere. In the grand scheme of things, it's probably not really that big of a deal, but by depicting the engine in a visible manner (there are no vertical hood segments), it seems it would have been wise to include those items that would be readily seen.

Edited by Roadrunner

Ford didn't go to hydraulic brakes until c.1940 . 

Even then , the brake master cylinder was under the floorboards ; the fluid reservoir . 

The lack of a visible brake m/c is still common on modified vehicles , oftentimes "hidden" under the dashboard , at an east-west direction .

This kit isn't stock anyhow (except for the transmission , torque-tube , and differential / axles)  , so have fun building it sans extra pieces .

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2020 at 8:02 PM, 1972coronet said:

Ford didn't go to hydraulic brakes until c.1940 . 

Even then , the brake master cylinder was under the floorboards ; the fluid reservoir . 

The lack of a visible brake m/c is still common on modified vehicles , oftentimes "hidden" under the dashboard , at an east-west direction .

This kit isn't stock anyhow (except for the transmission , torque-tube , and differential / axles)  , so have fun building it sans extra pieces .

My 1/1 scale 46 Ford still has MC under the floor. It has Mustang II suspension front and rear but the builder (not me) left it under the floor. 

Here's one I did years ago.   I could never really decide what to do with it.  Not good enough to build as a shiny rod.  SO I built it like maybe a guy would do at home.   A fun ride for low bucks.  

DCP01760.jpg

DCP01762.jpg

7 hours ago, Dave Van said:

My 1/1 scale 46 Ford still has MC under the floor. It has Mustang II suspension front and rear but the builder (not me) left it under the floor. 

Interesting to know. Thanks.

5 hours ago, randyc said:

Here's one I did years ago.   I could never really decide what to do with it.  Not good enough to build as a shiny rod.  SO I built it like maybe a guy would do at home.   A fun ride for low bucks.

Looks cool to me.

3 hours ago, jdhog said:

I love that kit. 

Very interested in seeing it finished.  

Thanks. Don't look to see it in the near future though, as I'm working hot and heavy on a big 1:16 scale Jagdtiger right now.