Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is an "annual" kit?

On 5/5/2020 at 7:37 PM, unclescott58 said:

PMC's are not 1/25 or 1/24 scale. And they are not considered by model historians as true "Annual" kits. It's like historians consider Carl Benz's first car in 1886 as the first true automobile. There were road going self powered vehicles before Benz. But, Benz's machine is what set the pattern most others then followed. The same with AMT's styrene kits in 1958. There were contemporary model car kits before AMT. But, AMT set the pattern that most others would follow. 

Wrong, sorry. PMC's were made in both 1/25th scale and 1/24th scale (as well as 1/16th scale).  I happen to own many PMC's that are exact 1/25th scale, and that is what GM, Ford and Nash wanted, so PMC made them that scale. Product Miniatures was under contract to produce 1/25th scale annuals for those companies and they did so. And I did not say they were annual kits, I said they were annual assembled 1/25th models that started the annual tradition. 

8 hours ago, John1955 said:

Wrong, sorry. PMC's were made in both 1/25th scale and 1/24th scale (as well as 1/16th scale).  I happen to own many PMC's that are exact 1/25th scale, and that is what GM, Ford and Nash wanted, so PMC made them that scale. Product Miniatures was under contract to produce 1/25th scale annuals for those companies and they did so. And I did not say they were annual kits, I said they were annual assembled 1/25th models that started the annual tradition. 

Fine. I maybe wrong. But, I've never seen or heard a PMC in either 1/25 or 1/24 scale. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2020 at 7:37 PM, unclescott58 said:

PMC's are not 1/25 or 1/24 scale. And they are not considered by model historians as true "Annual" kits. It's like historians consider Carl Benz's first car in 1886 as the first true automobile. There were road going self powered vehicles before Benz. But, Benz's machine is what set the pattern most others then followed. The same with AMT's styrene kits in 1958. There were contemporary model car kits before AMT. But, AMT set the pattern that most others would follow. 

In fact, PMC did make 1/25th and 1/24th scale, as well as 1/16th scale. I have many PMC 1/25th scale models including exact 1/25th scale big rigs with International tractors. PMC made exact 1/25 scale promtionals for Ford, Chevrolet and several others. PMC also made 1/25th scale promos for Mayflower Moving Company as well as selling generic versions to toy stores. 

PMC also made an exact 1/25th scale Trailways bus beginning in 1954 and continuing until circa 1957. To my knowledge, PMC was the only company that made big rigs and buses in exact 1/25th scale back then. And, I did not say they made "annual kits", I said they started the "annual tradition". 

On 7/28/2020 at 9:36 PM, John1955 said:

In fact, PMC did make 1/25th and 1/24th scale, as well as 1/16th scale. I have many PMC 1/25th scale models including exact 1/25th scale big rigs with International tractors. PMC made exact 1/25 scale promtionals for Ford, Chevrolet and several others. PMC also made 1/25th scale promos for Mayflower Moving Company as well as selling generic versions to toy stores. 

PMC also made an exact 1/25th scale Trailways bus beginning in 1954 and continuing until circa 1957. To my knowledge, PMC was the only company that made big rigs and buses in exact 1/25th scale back then. And, I did not say they made "annual kits", I said they started the "annual tradition". 

Are we beating a dead horse here? I stated above that I maybe wrong.