Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 Ford pickup conversion?

Does anyone know of parts to convert the 1972 (I guess this would be closest) Moebius Ford pickup to a 1974 model?  The best I can tell, the grill would be different.  Actually, maybe the side trim is significantly different, too?

I ask because my Dad had a '74 Ford Pickup ("The best running Ford I ever owned"  -this from a GM Man).  I'd like try to replicate it - although I don't know of any pictures of the actual truck.  I'd be going off memory...

thanks!

The cab, bed and interior are completely different between the '67-72 (bump side) and '73-79 (dent side).   The only kits made of the '73-79 generation are the AMT F350 Camper Special (long bed w/ a unique longer wheelbase) kits from the 70s.   The AMT kit back in the 70s was available w/ the '73-75 style grille (there are resin parts available now from Rookie Resin and other casters).    The AMT kit was reissued as a '79 a few years ago (Firestone graphics shown on box art).

Edited by Rob Hall

Hi Jonathan,

Ford trucks were restyled in '73, so the Moebius kits would not be your best course of action. Right now, the AMT '78 Firestone pickup is your best starting point, with the addition of a resin '74 grille (Rookie Resin?). Note that the AMT Firestone kit has the "Camper Special" extended wheelbase long bed, so you will have to convert the wheelbase yourself, or find a resin long box with standard wheelbase. (I think MAD Resin did one, IIRC?) Or, if your Dad's truck was a flareside, you can add the Moebius '66 flareside box. 

Hope this helped.

The easiest way to accomplish your project would be to find one of these kits. The 73-75 trucks are on the left upper side...

amtfrdtrkhst.jpg

...and get one of these corrected boxes from MAD resin

P1019836a.jpg

A more affordable and fairly current version of the truck is the flamed 78 4x4 (2wd parts included) along with the aforementioned rookie resin grill.

Edited by mk11

13 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Awesome!  Thank you all!

More questions - what would be a good source for the larger (aftermarket?) mirrors that were common then?  Western mirrors, perhaps? 

Moebius 66 F-100 kits has nice mirrors in 3 different styles