Model Cars Magazine Forum

5.0 Coyote engine

I was working on making the engine in resin before. Seeing this post I put it back on the bench. The 2013 kit has the best engine/transmission. More seperate and details than any of the other year kits. But as you can see the 2014 has the top cover you need an that would be about all it is good for. Other engines are not gonna work well as transplant engines. They have large voids in the block for mounts and the 2014 I believe is molded with the heads on the block. Still not sure how quick I'd be with a whole engine but can make the 2014 top cover for you.

porschercr, here is the photo of what I did to the bottom of the 2014 cover to fit on the 2013s runner. I put new tabs on the runner but think it already had something like that. Also show the 2013 engine with small indents for engine mounting.

20200605_212405.jpg

20200605_212435.jpg

This is a photo of what I have of the 2014 Mustang GT "Orange". The transmission bottom was used on the engine master along with the top cover being in that pile. The engine block and oil pan have a hole through them like the old metal axle kits. The heads an starter are also molded into the block. The valve covers have the oil fill cap molded on. The front cover was a close choice on which was better but the 2013 version had a few very slight details that this one didn't. This might work for some but buying this kit for the engine was a huge disappointment, especially from Revell.

IMG_2576.JPG.bfd76933ef8dc66ea0824fd9212646cd.JPG

Now this photo is a collection of parts I've been working on to cast as a resin "Coyote" engine kit. The basic engine was all from the 2013 Boss 302 Mustang, minus the bottom of the transmission. Clean details and the separately made parts is what makes this the best choice to build a modern "coyote" engine. What I had been working on before this master stalled was modifying the super charger to fit this engine. Was getting stuck making a pulley bracket, they don't scale these parts to be that accurate. Seeing the interest still in this engine I've got it back on the workbench though.

IMG_2579.JPG.2fa2657a7836f40179e5484d07355fe4.JPG

P.S. I normally don't cast engines and transmissions together but this had both really nice pieces so what I'll end up doing is casting the one piece then cutting the two apart as resin to make a new separate molds for each.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 5:35 PM, gotnitro? said:

Cool to see a the interest in the coyote engine,  cause my job is machining the real  timing system.  My buddy has a 2015 mustang gt and it's a monster

Yeah a monster until he pulls next to a bowtie or one of them 'cats ! Know what I mean ?