Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/32 Aerodyne

I've had this kit for about 5 years and finally got around to it now. I love K100s and especially Aerodynes, what a great idea they were, what a wise use of space combined with aerodynamic efficiency. This release is from Revell Germany and so it still came with decals rather than stickers, which settled down beautifully with setting solution. I'd loved to have a Salem paint scheme because I think it's a masterpiece in any colour combination but never mind.

I did my usual adjustment to the mudflaps and moved the quarter fenders further into the duals ro make them look more involved with the job of catching debris from the wheels, they seemed to just hang in the middle of nowhere before. The notch left in the chassis was filled with sprue. I had to foil the grille and bumper on this kit as well as the exhaust stacks because as soon as my fingers touched the chrome it came off on my skin. 

This was during full lockdown so I had to improvise at times. I wanted to make a visor but my plastic card stock was too brittle, I bought a pack of 4 aluminium serving trays from a supermarket [the only shops open at the time ] and used the flat base of one for raw aluminium sheet. The final result looks quite ok. Can't have a K100 without a visor. Can't have a K100 without mudflaps on the air cleaner and battery box either, so they got added in card stock. 

I cut the silly spigot that juts from the 5th wheel on these kits and drilled small hole [0.8mm] through what remained. This allows the hitch to pivot and receives a small metal pin I've employed on the trailer as a kingpin and looks so much more realistic. As you'll  see it uses my ubiquitous box van [love a plain white van] which will soon have the tanker as company. I also scored the old Harley Davidson 40ft dry van kit on Ebay for only £17 so that will coming soon, I've seen it going for £50 on the same site. I cant believe the prices these kits command now!  

I know there's no hubs for the drive axles, no brake chambers or chassis detail to speak of, but they look ok. Next job is to rig up the airlines between the tractor and trailer and some draped over the pogostick. Just trying to come up with 1/32 gladhand couplings. 

Thanks for stopping by.  

IMG_20200731_083031499.jpg

IMG_20200731_083002736.jpg

IMG_20200731_083012695.jpg

IMG_20200731_083021675.jpg

IMG_20200731_083040622.jpg

IMG_20200731_083228450.jpg

IMG_20200731_083331156.jpg

IMG_20200731_083348348.jpg