Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 78 Dodge (Curbside)

What's good everyone, been a minute since I've posted or got time in on any projects, last thing I needed was something else started...but here we are.  Trying to get something fun, easy to enjoy some bench time in on as my other projects, I'll be chipping away on for some time.  Anyhow, saw this the other day, nothing I ever figured I would probably be building but it seemed like a great canvas to be smoothed and covered in a nice Kandy paint job!  Have a few ideas but noting in stone yet, started the basics, getting the engine block together, cleaning up the body, mold lines, removing door handles and locks etc.  Have found a nice little sink mark on the rear panel on the bed, will need to do a little work on that.  Not a lot to show as of now but hopefully will have another update in tomorrow or Saturday and plan to keep this rolling right on through!  

78.jpg

What's good all, been working on the Dodge this week around work and other things.  Getting some good progress in, lots of clean up, got some primer on the other day, a little more sanding and 2nd round of primer this morning.  Body is pretty clean now, scribed, cleaned up a couple spots where the scriber jumped, hate that!  Filled a few sink holes, smoothed the body, nothing major, just clean smooth appearance.  Hoping to get some more work in over the weekend along with some work on some other older projects I've been digging up!

20200904_111723.jpg

20200904_111616.jpg

20200904_111624.jpg

20200904_111634.jpg

20200904_111715.jpg

Got some work in on the Dodge this morning, just finished yard work with my son and thinking of some Kandy Blue, debating on bases, right now I'm looking at Orion Silver or Stratto Blue then covering it in Oriental  Blue.  Should be fun, hopefully2059595218_DodgeBlue.thumb.jpg.f420188f6ab5e85914f1ed3a64289ddf.jpg everything comes out decent!

18 hours ago, slusher said:

Really. Great color!

16 hours ago, Deuces ll said:

That is sweeeeeeet!..... ??

Thank you both, there some things in the color I'm not happy with, will let it sit for a few days and see if it is salvageable or I'll strip it down and start fresh, dunno times ?

On 9/7/2020 at 11:04 AM, 1930fordpickup said:

Great color choice Paul.  I hope you don't have to strip it. 

Thank you, had been some time since spraying the Urethane, it looks like I should be able to nib this down and get it where I want it!  Using the Stratto blue base worked out well, aside from it making the blue a hair darker than I was aiming for, having the blue base compared to one of my golds or silvers cut down on the amount of urethane needed, not as heavy. 

22 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Looks great. Why a curbside tho? I'd stick a Hemi in there

I gave that some thought, honestly I'm thinking of getting this one together and then building a second one with a detailed chassis, hemi or newer style engine etc., sounds like a fun project!