Model Cars Magazine Forum

I thought I might have been able to mask off the cockpit like I usually do with other 1/72 planes when I started, but it turns out the easier way was to ditch that work and I'll hand paint and re-decal the harnesses after shooting the white.  (Good thing the Warbird sheet provides a lot of belts.)  I was able to hold them by the interior with tweezers for painting too.

I used Tamiya Fine White primer to check my bodywork and provide an even base, and then shot some decanted TS-26 Pure White for the color. 

aTjPf4I.jpg

Mark, I have some interesting memories of this little aircraft beyond the James Bond association.  When I was a young pilot, these came out as a "subscription" kit build.  In other words you paid your money and they sent to parts to build when they became available.  I was quite tempted to build one. 

Jim Bede designed and produced these on a shoe string and as such very few ever got done.  He used the money from the first lot of parts to fund the second lot and so on.  If I recall they were originally designed to be powered by a Rotax wankel engine and for many builders this was it's main down fall.  The engines were very hard to get so a lot of the kits just ended their days in the back of a garage under a tarp. In all, it reminded me a lot of the Tucker Torpedo story.  

Having said that, they were cool little aircraft.  Unfortunately, they were very high performance and required skilled hand to fly and wound up killing a fair amount of their builders.  Kind of like what seems to happen to all too many super cars.  Just because you have the money, doesn't mean you have the skill. 

Just now, Pete J. said:

Mark, I have some interesting memories of this little aircraft beyond the James Bond association.  When I was a young pilot, these came out as a "subscription" kit build.  In other words you paid your money and they sent to parts to build when they became available.  I was quite tempted to build one. 

Jim Bede designed and produced these on a shoe string and as such very few ever got done.  He used the money from the first lot of parts to fund the second lot and so on.  If I recall they were originally designed to be powered by a Rotax wankel engine and for many builders this was it's main down fall.  The engines were very hard to get in FAA certified trim, so a lot of the kits just ended their days in the back of a garage under a tarp. In all, it reminded me a lot of the Tucker Torpedo story.  

Having said that, they were cool little aircraft.  Unfortunately, they were very high performance and required skilled hand to fly and wound up killing a fair amount of their builders.  Kind of like what seems to happen to all too many super cars.  Just because you have the money, doesn't mean you have the skill. 

Hi Pete, I read up on them before starting the kits, it seems the availability of engines for both the prop and jet versions were the problems relating to production.  

Their website even sounds like they are still holding out for a new powerplant to produce future aircraft. 

(I think it's better you had the MR2 and survived...)

Here's the link for the WIP:

Edited by Scale-Master