Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvino's JR 1986-87 Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2 - Eddie Bierschwale

Jonathan

Completed the Salvino's JR 1986-87 Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2. I picked up the kit from Mike's Decals, and chose the option of adding Powerslide decals for Eddie Bierschwale's #94 Kodak Films car.

Finished with Tamiya Camel Yellow inside and out. I added roll bar padding using black masking tape and made a seat harness using the same. I’m not super happy with how the build turned out, but any faults with the build are more my mistakes. I did like the idea of a Kodak sponsored Pontiac - two brands that are largely gone ...

img-3419_orig.jpg

img-3420_orig.jpg

img-3423_orig.jpg

img-3424_orig.jpg

img-3426_orig.jpg

10 hours ago, Ironman63 said:

Great job!  Looks fantastic!

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Gluebomber said:

Looks great from here, Jonathan.  Love the livery.

How was the kit?

Thanks!  I enjoyed the build; although I think I made a few mistakes (surprise!)

If you've built any 80's Monogram Kit, you mostly know what to expect.   After painting, I realized that the trunk lines are missing (easy fix, if I had not already painted!) and the rear bumper "ears" should be removed.   For a true "aero" look, the windshield would need to be modified a little bit to sit flush, but I didn't do that.  I mounted it from the inside; and it fits well - but to truly be one of the aero cars, it would need to mount more flush.  I "might" try this next time.  Oh, and I did cut off the window net and I glued it directly to the body inside the side window.  Probably not prototypical correct, but it really helped the look of the car.   The stance could use a little tweak, but since it appears right on the driver's side and too high on the "passenger" side, I think that is something I did. 

All in all, a fun build, and I plan to do at least one more.