Model Cars Magazine Forum

Speaking of clears, has anyone tried any of the ones offered by Mr Hobby (Gunze Sangyo)

From what I've seen, they offer a wide array of high quality hobby materials, but the brand doesn't seem to have the same cachet here as some other Japanese brands like Tamiya do. 

That said, I hardly ever see many negative comments about their products, especially paints, so I was hoping to hear from those of you who had used their clears.

39 minutes ago, Hondamatic said:

I've been using their UV cut clear for a few months now and I really like it. And it handles humidity better than testors 

These trucks are not buffed 

Interesting point about their ability to handle humidity better.

That seems to be a big factor in a lot of "clear" threads.  Nice trucks, BTW.

44 minutes ago, Monty said:

Roughly what, especially compared to Tamiya?  Just curious.

I tried tamiya clear once, and it took almost a whole can for a 63 impala. Here in hawaii, Mr hobby UV is about 17 bucks a can, burbankshouseofhobbies is about 13, and ballzanos on ebay is about 11 

48 minutes ago, Monty said:

Interesting point about their ability to handle humidity better.

That seems to be a big factor in a lot of "clear" threads.  Nice trucks, BTW.

Thank you! The only time I got mr hobby to cloud up was when I was spraying by a pot of steamy water, it cleared up when I took it away though 

On 8/17/2021 at 2:06 PM, Monty said:

From what I've seen, they offer a wide array of high quality hobby materials, but the brand doesn't seem to have the same cachet here as some other Japanese brands like Tamiya do. 

That said, I hardly ever see many negative comments about their products, especially paints, so I was hoping to hear from those of you who had used their clears.

Hi Monty!

My stash of Testor's Wet look clear melting away, I tried all sorts of spray-can alternatives: Revell's new clear, Rustoleum's lacquer, and many more.

But all my tests so far indicate that Mr Hobby's Super clear is the most smooth and glossy, even before polishing. But twice the price of Tamya's TS13, which is a close second behind it. I read somewhere that Mr Hobby also has has second clear, kind of a "Top coat" or "flash-coat" if you will. But I haven't seen it here in Canada so far. 

Maybe someone who tried it can comment further? 

CT