Model Cars Magazine Forum

gap filling

stevez

I haven't looked at that kit in awhile,however,to fill a gap like that you probably want to use strip plastic (evergreen,plastruc)to fill most of the gap then use your choice of filler. the thing to remember is more plastic, less filler.or strip the chrome off the trim glue it in there then sand and sand or use a dremel until it is all leveled off and smooth shouldn't need much filler after that . hope this helps

my two cwnts worth is use a candle, after its settled, stretch the sprue thin, and CA tack into place and fill thatway, then when filled, skim coat of glue, and accelarator, and then sand/prep, and a skim coat of putty and sand to finish

bill

Instead of a candle, use Ambroid Pro weld. I use round strip styrene, but you can use thin sprue. Soak in pro weld for 20- 30 seconds depending on thickness. It will tack it's self in place, (and to you if you are not careful). Coat it with CA, and then sand and fill with putty, sand and primer. Works great.

I use this method, as I prefer NOT to use open flames whenever possible.

I haven't looked at that kit in awhile,however,to fill a gap like that you probably want to use strip plastic (evergreen,plastruc)to fill most of the gap then use your choice of filler. the thing to remember is more plastic, less filler.or strip the chrome off the trim glue it in there then sand and sand or use a dremel until it is all leveled off and smooth shouldn't need much filler after that . hope this helps

;):D Always fill big gaps with plastic, sand , now a dab of filler, then sand prime, sand prime............ ;);)