Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Toronado Promo Conversion

skmodelcars

2 hours ago, skmodelcars said:

Doing a replica build of a Friend's 66 Toronado that was his Father's and is restoring.  I accumulated some 70 Toronado kits and 66 promos some time before I met this guy!  Such a cool land yacht!  

Main thing was cutting open the hood.

20211214_141333.jpg

Holy Cow. I was 17 when my parents got their first brand new 1968 Toro. The whole family loved it and I was allowed to drive it with permission. Haven't found a model of the 1968. I'll be watching your 1966 build. Super!

I'll be interested to see what you do with this.

Remember, the '70 USA Oldies series has the Cadillac engine in it, so it won't be 100% right. I believe the original '70s have an Olds engine. The correct Toro engines show up on eBay periodically.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

14 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

I'll be interested to see what you do with this.

Remember, the '70 USA Oldies series has the Cadillac engine in it, so it won't be 100% right. I believe the original '70s have an Olds engine. The correct Toro engines show up on eBay periodically.

Charlie Larkin

Actually, all the JoHan Toros and Eldos had the same engine, but it's the Olds engine, not the Caddy. The Eldorado kits just had CADILLAC script added to the Olds valve covers.  Caddy engines have the distributor on the front and Olds has them on the back, like in the kit. Sand the scripts off the valve covers and you're good to go. They even have the "sunken" intake manifolds Olds used on the Toros to clear the low hood.

That said, MPC is reissueing the "Californian" show car later in the year which is based on a Toro and all the chassis, engine and underhood parts should drop right in and be correct.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...