Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 65 Impala hardtop and convertible custom parts

Were the custom parts in the AMT Impalas available in any other reissues etc? Ive lost out on 2 65 convertibles this week (one unbuilt and the other a VERY clean survivor), and I cant seem to find a hardtop I can afford.  Ive been searching but no luck.

Both times Ive been sitting there while the auction winds down with a HIGH max bid (well above what my set limit is) only to get outbid in the last minute few seconds. Really aggravating.

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

AFAIK, those parts were only in those two kits. They weren't in the '66s to my knowledge. 

Correct based on my check.

66 custom pieces a lot lighter than 65 (same with coupe).  

6716-200 (11)

66's did not come with the advanced custom pieces as depicted for this 65

6715-200 (11)

I went down and checked my original unbuilt 65's (convertible and coupe) and 66 (coupe) to confirm

Edited by Exotics_Builder
  • Like 1

'65 was pretty much the end of the line for the advanced custom parts.  The '66 kits' custom versions were for the most part  designed so as not to require the use of putty.  In some cases the parts would look better molded in, but they could be built without it.  The '65 Impalas, with that radical front end treatment, was by far the most ambitious one though.

Finding a set of the parts without a kit, or in a started kit, would be one of those lucky deals.  I did that awhile back with the '62 Corvette parts, finding the leftovers from a kit that apparently was built stock (and without the engine).  All of those parts will fit any of the reissue '62 Corvettes.

I’ve seen the custom parts for sale separately on evilBay. They always go for a high price😕

I got lucky a few years ago and got the kit at a swap meet, partially built. Cost me $85 back then, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see it hovering at $100+ on evilBay. 

The started/partially built kit can be found on occasion too, another "luck" thing.  If you want to build the custom version, and can find one irreversibly started as the custom, it will sometimes sell more reasonably than a stock one simply because those wanting a stock one will pass on it.  I found a '63 Mercury hardtop and '63 Buick hardtop started as customs, got them reasonably because both were started as customs and had the scripts and trim removed.  As a bonus, the stock bumpers were still like new so those were set aside for convertibles that needed them.

35 minutes ago, ToyLvr said:

I’ve seen the custom parts for sale separately on evilBay. They always go for a high price😕

I got lucky a few years ago and got the kit at a swap meet, partially built. Cost me $85 back then, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see it hovering at $100+ on evilBay. 

clean Survivors are going for over 100 (i lost an auction on one 2 days ago in the last 20 secs)  The convertible I just lost was nearly 200 (same last 20 secs) and the hardtop is nearly 400.  Theyre both on my "must own" list but I cant afford to pay those kind of prices.