Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch built modern surfboards

1 hour ago, David G. said:

That'll be cool!

Do you plan on making decals or hand painting?

David G.

I think I'm gonna have to go with the hand painting. I looked into making the 80s-90s decals for my Westfalia bus replica build and it would have cost as fortune to have them made up. I have a decal sheet with some fictitious 60s-70s decals. I'm gonna have to settle for them.

10 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

I think I'm gonna have to go with the hand painting. I looked into making the 80s-90s decals for my Westfalia bus replica build and it would have cost as fortune to have them made up. I have a decal sheet with some fictitious 60s-70s decals. I'm gonna have to settle for them.

you mght find something you can use on some of the 80s and 90s revell kits with graphics. Some of them might work for surfboards if you trimmed bits out, theres loads of paints splash style

6 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

you mght find something you can use on some of the 80s and 90s revell kits with graphics. Some of them might work for surfboards if you trimmed bits out, theres loads of paints splash style

That not a bad idea. I keep all of my decals in a folder. I'll have to check that out. As far as the commercial decals, those will still cost a fortune.

25 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

That not a bad idea. I keep all of my decals in a folder. I'll have to check that out. As far as the commercial decals, those will still cost a fortune.

do you have a printer? I have sheets of printable white vinyl that you could just use to print a sticker to cover the entire board. It would mean doing a template with your board design reduced to fit and you can easily smooth the edges of the vinyl with some fine sandpaper to hide the edge or a file like doing griptape on a skateboard. I'm happy to send you a sheet if you think it will work for you

1 minute ago, stitchdup said:

do you have a printer? I have sheets of printable white vinyl that you could just use to print a sticker to cover the entire board. It would mean doing a template with your board design reduced to fit and you can easily smooth the edges of the vinyl with some fine sandpaper to hide the edge or a file like doing griptape on a skateboard. I'm happy to send you a sheet if you think it will work for you

Thanks Les, but i got rid of my dot matrix printer years ago. It would sit for months without any use, and when I would go to print something, the ink cartridges would be all dried up. Then I would have to spend like 50 bucks on new cartridges, to print one page and start to whole process all over again. So now, I just don't print anything. I could just flush 50-dollar bills down the toilet and save money. I have no idea what technology is available to the common man today. Just not very computer savvy. I just bought a bunch of brightly colored Testors bottles yesterday for this very project.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...