Model Cars Magazine Forum

HOW TO PREP A DIECAST BODY FOR PAINT!

You can use automotive stripper from local parts store. But,....as for keeping grille or head lights forget about it. Unless they are separate parts and not decals or tampos they will go with the stipper. You may ber able to try masking them, but the stipper will most likely soak though the masking. Good luck ! maybe someone else on here has an idea.

If you want to save the headlight/grille decals you can't strip the paint, far too messy a job and it will ruin any masking.

Sounds like you'll need to carefully mask/sand/refinish.

I think I will sand and finish sound's good. Got a technique you want to share without damaging body??

Hi, I have been wanting to do the Jim Head Toyota Solara funny car and have not found a 1/24 body. Are you going to modify the Toliver Celica to make it look like Scott's Solara? If you do please let me know how it works out. I do not know if you have seen this link put it has some good photos of scotts car. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/...e/photo_03.html

Hi, I have been wanting to do the Jim Head Toyota Solara funny car and have not found a 1/24 body. Are you going to modify the Toliver Celica to make it look like Scott's Solara? If you do please let me know how it works out. I do not know if you have seen this link put it has some good photos of scotts car. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/...e/photo_03.html
They don' make a Solara funny car yet.Look at diecastdeals.com and they have a Celica Jerry Toliver 2004 funny car for $9.00. That's what I'm using. Shoot me your email and I will send you a couple of pics. of what I found. Mine dmqualls2007@comcast.net Dave!!!

They don' make a Solara funny car yet.Look at diecastdeals.com and they have a Celica Jerry Toliver 2004 funny car for $9.00. That's what I'm using. Shoot me your email and I will send you a couple of pics. of what I found. Mine dmqualls2007@comcast.net Dave!!!
What do you suggest on how to remove the paint and decal's for this car? Any tricks?

I have had good luck glass beading the paint and decals off diecast but I am not sure how you could save the grill and headlights that way. I will email you with photos I have of scotts car maybe they will help you with this project. Jim
Glass beading, like sandblasting? Dave!!! Send me those pics! Thanks, Dave!!!

Check with Slixx .com for the new headlight / grill decals . I know they carry a large sheet of headlights and grill assemblies for funny cars .

As for your body, soak it in brake fluid for a couple of days, it will remove all the paint and decals and take it right down to bare metal.

The Old Man

I'd prep like you would paint a 1:1 car and use automotive primer paint and clear if your really serious about the model. If you like the contours and you don't think you would need to smooth anything out on the body you could probably sand it down starting with 600 grit and work your way up to 800-1000 grit with an orbital sander (In the areas where you can't get with an orbital sander or if you don't have an orbital sander use a grey scuff pad making sure to evenly sand the body so the whole thing has a dull finish and sand all the decals off (otherwise the paint may lift) clean the body with a degreaser then seal it, paint and clear it. Thats how I would probably do it. hopefully that is some to you.

I'd prep like you would paint a 1:1 car and use automotive primer paint and clear if your really serious about the model. If you like the contours and you don't think you would need to smooth anything out on the body you could probably sand it down starting with 600 grit and work your way up to 800-1000 grit with an orbital sander (In the areas where you can't get with an orbital sander or if you don't have an orbital sander use a grey scuff pad making sure to evenly sand the body so the whole thing has a dull finish and sand all the decals off (otherwise the paint may lift) clean the body with a degreaser then seal it, paint and clear it. Thats how I would probably do it. hopefully that is some to you.
Looking for DHL Yellow in a spray can, any HELP??

DHL yellow in a spray can I am not sure. what I would do is find some shades of yellow that you think are closest to the color you want and just do some sprayouts on a piece of paper and compare them and choose the closest color. It would be easier if you had an airbrush than you could mix the color do a sprayout compare than keep adding color until you got it right which is a little difficult but you could achieve the pretty close match. If you get the color pretty close most people aren't going to notice the difference. I didn't understand color and imperfections in paint until I went through auto body school and I probably wouldn't know the difference (if it was close) unless I had a dhl color paint chip and your finished car out in the sunlight where you can see the true color. hopefully that helps you thats the best I can do. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I like the idea you have and I would like to see it turnout.