Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell/Texas 3D Customs'68 Baja bug

Mike C.

1 hour ago, espo said:

Like the fade paint job, how do the conversion parts fit? 

The parts fit nicely, but you first have to modify the Revell '68 bug body a bit. Pretty easy, just cut off the fenders and glue on the new ones, the hood, that front valence piece and the rear engine cover part. Charles has redesigned it to fit better and made up some suspension parts to make rasing the suspension easer. Mine are still in the mail but I used some styrene parts to raise mine. Kit should be out soon, keep checking his website to see.

Texas 3D Customs – Texas3DCustoms (tx3dcustoms.com)

Edited by Mike C.

1 hour ago, Dirkpitt289 said:

Nice work on the fade effect

Thanks Dirk. I'm quite pleased with the way it came out too. If my wheels would ever get here, I could get moving on this project. Tires came yesterday. Gotta finish that interior and engine. Suspension is all ready to go.

• Like 1

Thanks Carl. My suspension kit from Texas 3D Customs came yesterday. So, I guess I could start a second Baja bug. The wheels are still not here so this project is moving at a snail's pace. Working on the stinger exhaust now. Using the one from the Manx kit. This kit is good for parts for the Baja bug. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting tired of this project sitting stalled waiting for these wheels to get here, that I might just go with these 8 spokes from the foxy box van kit. I'm probably going to have to narrow the fronts down a bit, but I think these will work.

20221011_092559.thumb.jpg.03ea96b6fb9a5305568c142c886f345d.jpg

5 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

You're not waiting on me for wheels are you because I didn't know I was making you a set 

No, it was that 3DScale parts. Plus, I have been preoccupied with life in general. I do like that new hood you offer now. I'll have to order that kit. For this kit, I'm going with those 8 spokes.

Jackman style buggy  Wheels finally came today.  They are listed as 1/24 so if you are using 1/25 tires. You might have to do a little Dremel work to make them fit. Might go with wite paint. Rear tires are from modelhous. Fronts are the Firestones that come with a lot of AMT kits. Both can be made to fit nicely. 

20221019_120626.thumb.jpg.b496002624a3e04bacd734b6ab779f84.jpg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

You never gave me your thoughts on the suspension kit, or the second rear cover

Oh yeah. Yor suspension kit was a lot easier to install than what I came up with. and you get to keep those steerable wheels. As for the rear cover, I never got a chance to try it on this build as the original was all glued on and painted. I will use it on the next one I have planned. I do like that alternate hood on the new kit that you offer. I have to order one of those. All in all, you have a very nice kit that you offer that has been long awaited buy the modeling community. It has been a pleasure to help out in bringing this to the market.

23 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

You never gave me your thoughts on the suspension kit, or the second rear cover

I have been watching this build and your Baja kit for the Type 1 with interest. Many moons ago I had a Baja Bug that I used the other style of the day. This was the one with the headlights close together in the nose with the fenders cut higher and a larger scoop on the back that also included the license plate mount. I would gladly share a couple of photos if you thought this would be a style you would be interested in producing. I obviously would be a buyer and there may be others interested as well. 

On 10/22/2022 at 10:06 AM, espo said:

I have been watching this build and your Baja kit for the Type 1 with interest. Many moons ago I had a Baja Bug that I used the other style of the day. This was the one with the headlights close together in the nose with the fenders cut higher and a larger scoop on the back that also included the license plate mount. I would gladly share a couple of photos if you thought this would be a style you would be interested in producing. I obviously would be a buyer and there may be others interested as well. 

It is planned but probably will be a bit, I have other things on deck first 

• Like 1