Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth wrecker question

I would like to make the Kenworth W900 wrecker that was made by Revell.  But the price is out of my reach, I live in Cyprus.  I have a kit of a Kenworth 900 truck . My question is. Is there any parts available for me to make a wrecker, or can I scratch build the parts, and does the chassis have to be modified ,any help appreciated.

19 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

I wonder if it would be easier for you to obtain an Italeri wrecker kit. Thay pumped out a lot of different cabs on the same wrecker body.

If you want an old version, you might find Phil Jensen's Holmes wrecker directions.

greg

First of all ,thank you all for your help and input. Greg ,( Phil Jensen Holmes wrecker directions ) ? Where do I find this as I've not heard of him.    I decided to not go with the Italeri  kit but wait to see if a wrecker boom and body,as in the Revell kit turns up on ebay, or somewhere else, as I want to do the big heavy telescopic rig. Once again thanks .

On 12/27/2022 at 3:01 PM, Digger said:

I would like to make the Kenworth W900 wrecker that was made by Revell.  But the price is out of my reach, I live in Cyprus.  I have a kit of a Kenworth 900 truck . My question is. Is there any parts available for me to make a wrecker, or can I scratch build the parts, and does the chassis have to be modified ,any help appreciated.

If you can find the wrecker body from the Revell Germany kit and use the Revell Germany W900 you shouldn't have to do anything as that wrecker body is designed for that kit.
But if you are going to use another wrecker body you most likely have to modify the frame.
There aren't that many wrecker bodies around, the Revell Germany KW W900 wich has a Century wrecker body, the Revell Germany Can-Do/Will-Do with a Challenger Rotator body, the AMT Peterbilt 359 Small Window Unilite cab and 1100 series cab "Big Stick" wreckers (they have the same "Big Stick" body on both kits) and the Italeri kits with a Swedish made Bro Wrecker body are the only ones I know of from kits.
I have seen some other wreckers on the aftermarket, I have seen a Holmes 750 and I believe KFS had another wrecker but I don't know if they are available.

Edited by Force

Thank you so much for this information,very informative. Finding the parts will be the main problem, the only ones I've seen so far are the Italeri ones.               Another idea, I have a supply of plastic sheet left over from another project, now has anyone got an unmade Revell wrecker and would they be willing to trace round the parts I need for the body so I can scratch build one. If I'm allowed on here to send my email address in a PM I can do that .all I would need for size reference is a 1 inch square on it. So I can get the measurements. With my old equipment I like to work in feet and inches preferred,if not metric.                          Chris 

I met a wrecker model builder at a hobby shop outside of Pittsburgh who could give you help if only I knew his name.☹️  I believe he is in one of the Facebook groups that deal with wreckers. Sorry I don't do Facebook. Looking back in the threads here someone has a copy of the Phil Jenson plans. Search Phil Jenson on this site. The book cost more than a new kit. It was in segments in old Model Car Science magazine, maybe someone here has it.

greg

Edited by GLMFAA1
added info

Thank you all once again for all your help. I have found on U Tube a model builder called DANSMODELWORX he has got the Italeri wrecker and done a very good conversion on it. Lengthened the chassis and also lengthened the body and done a lot of work on the boom itself which is wrong in the kit. Very well worth finding and watching. Not just this kit but cars as well. I shall now get this kit and do his conversion but I may put a Kenworth cab on it..                             If you watch it let me know your  thoughts on doing this.        

17 hours ago, Digger said:

Thank you all once again for all your help. I have found on U Tube a model builder called DANSMODELWORX he has got the Italeri wrecker and done a very good conversion on it. Lengthened the chassis and also lengthened the body and done a lot of work on the boom itself which is wrong in the kit. Very well worth finding and watching. Not just this kit but cars as well. I shall now get this kit and do his conversion but I may put a Kenworth cab on it..                             If you watch it let me know your  thoughts on doing this.        

Well the boom is not wrong on the Italeri wrecker body, first of all it's a Swedish built Bro Wrecker and the model kit was designed for the Scania T 142H kit and I built it back when it was new, later Italeri put this wrecker body on a couple of other kits both European and American.
Overall the wrecker body is pretty much a good correct model of a Bro Wrecker as you can see here.

1133371415_Namnlst-1.jpg.d84e21b621abd5b9de2cf2944965c0c7.jpg
The thing with Dansmodelworx build is that he's not building it as a Bro Wrecker, he's building it to more resemble a US made wrecker so in that case the Italeri kit is wrong and needed some modifications to get the right look, and of course you can do that if you want to.

The Scania T142H wrecker model I built in the late 80's or if it was early 90's.

skanna0009.jpg.b4bda608eb67795424e0db88777b0d73.jpg

Thanks , yes I get your point. That is what Dan is doing. Both in the US and UK the underlift or stinger has an axal lift , and that is what I wanted to do. Thank you for the diagram and the pic of your model it is very good. I'm just getting back into modeling again after a number years, and need a challenge, that is why I would like to do it, not strait out of the box.   Thanks again.  Chris 

On 12/31/2022 at 12:54 PM, Digger said:

Thanks , yes I get your point. That is what Dan is doing. Both in the US and UK the underlift or stinger has an axal lift , and that is what I wanted to do. Thank you for the diagram and the pic of your model it is very good. I'm just getting back into modeling again after a number years, and need a challenge, that is why I would like to do it, not strait out of the box.   Thanks again.  Chris 

The Bro Wrecker also usually have the spreader lift bar for the forks for the axle lift or the wheel lift grid, I don't understand why Italeri included the extension bar and crane pulley assembly because you don't see that used often, it's the spreader lift bar you see most.

Here is the standard equipment on a Bro Wrecker of that era.

bromanual0007.jpg.e2b4a4fa804d549e18993ef904e12691.jpg

Here is a picture of one of the heavy wreckers in my hometown,, the wrecker type is called Bro Starke and the truck it's built on is a Scania R model.

11475UME106.png.701a143aaf8da23a205044d2cf27c76c.png

Edited by Force

16 hours ago, Force said:

Thanks for this ,a fantastic help to me to see all this. Hope I can make it when the kit arrives. I've got Dan's site to follow as well.

16 hours ago, Force said:

The Bro Wrecker also usually have the spreader lift bar for the forks for the axle lift or the wheel lift grid, I don't understand why Italeri included the extension bar and crane pulley assembly because you don't see that used often, it's the spreader lift bar you see most.

Here is the standard equipment on a Bro Wrecker of that era.

bromanual0007.jpg.e2b4a4fa804d549e18993ef904e12691.jpg

Here is a picture of one of the heavy wreckers in my hometown,, the wrecker type is called Bro Starke and the truck it's built on is a Scania R model.

KHere is a picture of one of the heavy wreckers in my hometown,, the wrecker type is called Bro Starke and the truck it's built on is a Scania R model.