Model Cars Magazine Forum

2006 Monte Carlo SS

beefheart22

Hey folks, new poster here in the forum. I usually just lurk, sponging as much information as I can from some *very* talented builders. Everybody's projects look so flawless, I'm not sure if I should be posting this! :o

Here's the beginnings my first NASCAR attempt since I stopped building models in high school. Just the chassis / interior so far. It's a rookie job, but it is fun building it. I still need to bond the chassis together in spots, touch up the paint job and finish parts of the roll cage, but I was pleased to find out that it did resemble a roll cage... Not sure what to do with that safety net on the passanger side yet.

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks for looking!

Beefheart

Picture604.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture003.jpg

100_1840.jpg

100_1839.jpg

Edited by beefheart22

• 2 weeks later...

Me again. Ok, here's some more progress. Completed the body. Had a bit of trouble with with the decals going around the front end where it wrinkled on me despite the several micro sol applications. I need to clean it up a bit too.

As for the engine, I'm not too impressed how it turned out. Kind of sloppy, maybe I didn't take enough time and my brush skills are still in development, but it does resemble an engine, so I must be on my way...

Any suggestions to make my painting look smoother? It looks "chunky" all around the engine and is bumming me out! :o

Thanks for looking!

Not that bad for a first-timer!

1. Use better brushes if you must paint with them. I use Sable brushes.

2. You might want to try a different brand of paint. Model Master makes a great line of Acryl paints that go on smooth.

3. Try painting the pieces with Tamiya spray instead of brush painting. I only brush paint the finest details.

Hope this helps...

Not that bad for a first-timer!

1. Use better brushes if you must paint with them. I use Sable brushes.

2. You might want to try a different brand of paint. Model Master makes a great line of Acryl paints that go on smooth.

3. Try painting the pieces with Tamiya spray instead of brush painting. I only brush paint the finest details.

Hope this helps...

I kind of wondered if the airbrush was what separated the men from the boys. I'm brushing on Tamiya, but I'll give a bottle or two of Model Master acrylic a try. I've been thinking about saving for an airbrush system as I get more builds and experience. Looking at all the posts on this forum, the overwhelming majority look just like the 1:1.

Thanks!

Nathan

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished my Jeff Gordon '06 Dupont Monte Carlo SS. I recently ordered some Goodyear decals from Mike's Decals to finish off the tires, but aside from that I'm declaring my first NASCAR build a success... well success as in I didn't butcher it! :D Though I do believe I went overboard with the yellow on the rim and the kit decals did not seem to fit properly...

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Just got my tire decals in the mail from Mike's Decals. I can understand why people buy from him.

Scuffed the tires, added the decals and shot the tires with a dull-coat like I've seen other people do. I think it turned out pretty good. Got rid of over-sized jaggy-looking yellow stripes on the rims. I'd like to know how people get those perfect red/yellow stripes on their rims. I tried painting the black over yellow paint and then scrapping the black off to mediocre results, but decided it looked to sloppy. Any suggestions?

But I think it still looks tons better with the decals. NASCAR models just look naked and incomplete with out the Goodyear emblems.

Picture017.jpg

Edited by beefheart22

I think you did a great job. As for your brush painting, do as little as possible. That is- spray can as much of the kit as possible. Double over some tape and stick things like valve covers and intakes to it for painting. Use sticky-tack putty and toothpicks for other stuff with convenient holes. Krylon is your best friend for this. I must have 25 cans at the house.

All in all that is an excellent replica. You should be proud.

Excellent build. And what Rob says is right. Use spray paint as much as possible over brush painting, if you can. Otherwise the other types of paints mentioned earlier are also a plus, especially Testors metalizers paints for painting engine components and such. Can't wait to see what you come out with next.