Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spray Booth question

I have always wanted to purchase one of these. I paint in my garage and when I use lacquer it really smells up the place. I use a respirator but for the next 3-4 days I can detect the smell of the paint. My question is does a spray booth REALLY get those fumes and smell out well enough to truley paint in your house? The overspray I can see it working for, but I still have a hard time beleiving that it will suck out that smell enough for me to paint in my model room.

If you have 1 and use lacquer paints let me know.

Thanks in advance, Ray

Hi Ray, Yes, they really do work. I use Cobra Colors and Tamiya paints and the smell is out instantaneously.

I have the Paasche booth and use the charcoal filter along with the regular filter and have it vented outside. The charcoal filter actually absorbs the smell as the fumes are on the way out.

My wife and children both commented that they cannot tell when I am painting.

room3-vi.jpg

I believe Bill Geary uses the same booth, among others.

I hope this helps.

Chris

While a good spray booth prevents most of the paint fumes from smelling up the house, don't forget that whatever you have painted will also smell like fresh paint until it's dry! If you are going to invest in a spray booth, you may also want to buy or build a food dehydrator or drying booth that will accelerate the drying process.

I use that Paasche booth also, and it works great for paint fume evacuation. I spray in a room in my basement and, outside of that room, nobody would know I was spraying lacquers. I route my vent tube out my little sliding basement window. I made a plywood window insert with the tube epoxied into it. When not in use, the insert/tube rest on the inside windowsill. When it's paint time, slide open the window, pop in the insert, and spray. I highly recommend you get one of these booths!

Thanks for all the input. I guess I have to start collecting my pennies to get me one. I really would like to paint in my hobby room.

I do have a dehydrator all ready but have not used it yet.

As far as the vent too, don't go cutting a hole in your wall yet. If it's by a window you can get these things from squadron (currently sold out) they allow the window to almost be closed. They are called Mr. Super Booth Vent Attachment. Item # MAGT03E

Check em out.

artograph_duct2t.jpg

artograph_ductt.jpg

I am in the same boat.

Glad you posted the question.

Hey Chris aka Crispy-

I see an aoshima double cab lift up.

If you are interested in selling or trading the 6 off road lights out of that kit please let me know?

I am always in need of those.

Doug R

Yes, paint booths work. Like Bob said, you'll still have the odor from the painted parts. If you put a door on your booth it's all contained. If you can put your booth next to a window then make an insert the width of the window and six inches or so tall and cut about a 4.125 or 4.25 hole in it. On your trip to the store for dryer hose also pick up a dryer hose outlet. The one with the little flaps that fall closed when it isn't being used. Put up the storm window part way(if you have one), put the screen down, put the insert in the window and close the window on top of it. Unless you find it unsightly or your better half complains, leave it there. The screen will get a little paint dust on it but that will brush right off.

If you're feeling industrious and have a few hand tools you can build your own booth. Probably for a lot less money than a commercially available one. I deleted the pictures of mine from my webspace a while back but will get them back up and post them soon. Mine is approx. 18"x18"x16" inside. There is a little trap door in the top rear to drop in a furnace filter. The top is a piece of plexiglass. I mounted a 265cfm blower on the back and it works great. If I build another it will be larger so it will require a larger blower. The 265 works perfectly for the current size. A friend built this one for me out of some scrap pressboard and lumber he had on hand. Lowes or Home Depot will cut down a sheet of plywood for you for a small fee if you don't have a saw. Drill some holes, screw it together, slap on some paint, attach a blower and you have a booth. I mounted some 16" flourescent lights inside mine. They're linked together to one switch.

You'll get better flow if you could set it up at least semi-permanently and use duct pipe instead of the hose. All those pleats create drag and slow down air flow. If you're close to the window it doesn't seem to be a big deal. At least it hasn't been for me. If you are more than a foot or two away smooth ductwork would probably help. Here's a link to an article on paint booth design if you're interested. Look down the left side of the page.

http://modeltech.tripod.com/

I have a related question regarding this topic. How do you guys route the dryer hose to the outside of the house? Any tricks besides boring a big hole in the wall?

I built my booth right below my basement window. The window is split in half and I replaced the right half glass with a piece of plexiglass that I cut a hole into and fit my dryer vent perfectly.