Model Cars Magazine Forum

Armored Personal Carrier Lowrider

Foxer

This is actually another model of a vehicle I owned. Well, I didn't really "own" this baby, but spent many months babysitting it...scrape paint...re-paint...scrape paint..etc. The XM474 was a modified M113 Armored Personnel Carrier and designed to transport the U.S. Army Pershing Missile System. The images below were taken at the White Sands Missile Firing Range during practice firings. The tracked vehicle in the photos is the one I modeled.

This was a 3’ diameter x 34 ' long 2-stage missile carrying a quite large nuclear warhead. This was the largest weapon the US Army ever owned and presently all pieces of this system have passed through the crusher after treaties banning nuclear weapon systems.

I do not know the fate of these specialized vehicles but they sure would have made some great ranch pickups.

Pershing 1 launch (Feb 16, 1966)sml

Winter service with P1

mgm-31 pershing i m474 tel 04 of 83

The Martin Marietta Company was the main contractor for the Pershing System and steel APC body's were stripped and replaced with a welded aluminum body loosely resembling a pickup. Power came from a Chrysler V8 outputting around 215 horsepower. The view from the drivers seat was excellent when empty, with your head sticking out of the compartment next to the engine. With a missile mounted, consisting of a 3 foot diameter tube laying inches to your right, visibility was extremely limited to the right and non-existent to the rear. Needless to say, when a missile was mounted, the world moved when you backed up The lightness of this vehicle due to it's aluminum body allowed hair raising speeds for a tracked vehicle ... a personal best of 62 mph on asphalt (with disabled governor) having been obtained. It could turn with a deer on the open prairie and (almost) keep up with a fleeing jackrabbit!

This model was constructed in a similar fashion as the real one using a Tamiya M113 Armored Personnel carrier. Only the lower body remained after chopping the top and constructing the front panels from sheet styrene. The tailgate, front missile brace, engine cover and various attachments were scratch built from styrene. The front tow “rope” was made from twisted copper wires and ends from the kit attached.

Old armor modelers here may have words concerning the apparent lack of markings but, they are fully accurate, as these units carried none of the typical identification numbers. Only a one or two digit vehicle number front and rear marred the gorgeous OD paint scheme! Not even a black star or US Army tag was used on these vehicles. Our trucks were marked in the same manner … like cars without license plates to the MP’s we passed in our travels, eheh. Such fun with a missile convey pulled over by MP’s and our Captain reaming them up one side and down the other at quite an audible tone.

M113 APC Tamiya-l1600

XM474 A-3-84 DSC 2300

XM474 A-3-84 DSC 2301

XM474 A-3-84 DSC 2302

XM474 A-3-84 DSC 2304

XM474 A-3-84 DSC 2305

XM474 A-3-84 DSC 2306

These were the greatest driving fun I ever experienced!! :lol:

With the modifications and painting as compared to the standard APC you can say this has been chopped, nosed, decked and lightened.

Edited by Foxer

WOW, a M113 Spyder! Given all the versions of it the Army has I'll bet there's a Roadster out there also :)

You're gonna have to change your sig from "Mike DeRagon - perennial non-finisher" to Mike that really finished at least one Right. Great Build.

Ed

So THAT'S what a Hot Rodded Lo-Lo APC looks like! Funny thing is, I LIKE IT!!! The Zukman is right though, some chromie road wheels would look killer on it! Is it powered by a Hemi? or izzat a 440 in that rascal? Just pop a SixPack on it an your good ta go! GREAT job on it so far Foxer, keep us posted on it's progress! ( some flames on it wouldn't hurt either!...And I DON'T mean from incomeing fire!!! :) )

Sorry George, this one is under glass. It was done some 15 years ago and joking around here about armor got me thinking about it. This is a specific rare vehicle I got personal with and it has to remain.

Now, that being said, you all are making me think .. a dangerous proprosition at best! I can't hack this one, but another APC.. hmmm.. chromed wheels ... baby moons?, defiantly an engine swap.. hemi or there seems room for that allison. Gold tracks .. wonder if Candy Apple Olive Drab is actually possible?

Now ideas are assaulting my brain... I'm NEVER gonna finish anything on my bench!!! oh my ...ehhehe

(and don't any of you even MENTION hydraulics!!!!)

As for your thinking for another variant, something along these lines

p6031617.jpg

Was taken at a model show 2 years ago.

OMG!!!! is that George's???????? :)

goes to show there are no new ideas left.. (( ehhe so maybe we need a Woodstock or Bust APC van ...

... or above with 41 chevy truck waterfall grill and 56 Packard tail lights

Edited by Foxer

MAN, IS THAT COOL OR WAT!!!!!! Now THAT'S wat I'M talkin about!!! To bad we din't have somethin like that in Nam, we woulda SHOCKED them dam VC's right outta their tunnels!!!!! They'da RAN back to the North faster'n we could kill'em!!!! :):):) I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! :)

• 8 years later...