Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 chevrolet Nomad "Real Mad"

Peter Lombardo

1956 Chevrolet Real Mad Nomad Custom Wagon

Back around 2000 or 2001 Chip Foose designed and Steve’s Auto Restorations from Oregon build this beautiful 1956 Chevrolet Nomad wagon which was called “Realmadâ€. I saw it featured in a hot rod magazine and thought it was a great looking custom. I liked it so much that I thought I would build a model of it. I made a few modifications from the real car, some because I liked the changes and some because I had no picture to go by.

I am enclosing some shots of the real car (please note, the size of the pictures is different) along with my model, and please note, the red paint on the model is actually lighter on the car than it shows in the pictures….it is closer to the actual color than it looks here and the actual car is a little darker than these pictures show.

To start the build I picked up a 1956 Revell Nomad wagon. I chopped the top down about 6 or 8 scale inches to replicate the real car, then I grafted on the front clip from a 1955 Revell Chevy Convertible. The front fenders and windshield came from a Testers Chezoom quick builder kit. The headlights came from a Tamiya Porsche GT3 kit and the taillights were donated by the 1955 Chevy. The engine (different from the real car) is an LS1 from a C5 Vette. The chassis is the Corvette’s just stretched to fit the wheel base. The interior is from the Corvette, also stretched to fit and I two toned it in black and red which is a little different from the real car. The wheels and tires also came from the Corvette. I scratch built the body moldings and the traditional Nomad chrome stripes on the roof and rear tail gate which are covered with Bare Metal Foil.

The car is painted in Mopar gloss black and a custom mix of House of Kolor Persimmon red and medium red pearl. This was one of my early customs and if I did it now, I would have opened the doors and tailgate and most likely changed up the wheels, but all and all, I am happy with it. At the time it was quite a challenge for me and I learned a lot from the process, and that is what I try and do with each new custom build.....break new ground for myself.

3555379444_90e777029b_o.jpg

3555379454_7a1acafd52_o.jpg

3554570805_4b00b774fc_o.jpg

3555379856_1849a5083a_b.jpg

3554572225_5b560946a3_b.jpg

3554571749_49665b5730_b.jpg

3554572681_0db62908ee_b.jpg

3554573045_9cf89022db_b.jpg

Guys, thanks for the nice comments, I really do appreciate the kind words.

Everyone, I hope you have a great Memorial Day...I plan on a 6:40 Tee Time with my regular foresome, lunch, a few hour working on the electrical system of my MGB that is in the final stages of completion and then a Bar-Be-Que with the family......tell me, does it get any better than that????

Everyone, enjoy the day!!! And remember, thank a vet every chance you get.