Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey fellow modelers, the TDR gang asked me to put some of their products together for pics etc. This pixel twisting, RP method of producing parts is new to most of us older than dirt guys so hopefully I can pass on some of what I've learned (and still learning) working with this material from a builders point of view. I'll be posting my screw-ups as well in an effort to save you guys some grief & coin.......I'll make the mistakes on my dime so you don't have to. As some of you know, I'm one of the TDR group but I call 'em like I see 'em so please feel free to ask questions or make comments as I go along. I'll be starting with the TDR XK and Offy engines.

The XK just showed up in the mail.........TDR gets a gold star for packing, I hate it when I receive merchandise that has been broken during shipping due to poor packaging.

As you can see in the pics.........the parts are bubble wrapped to the max.

xk001.jpg

xk002.jpg

Here's a pic of the (44 piece) 1/8th scale TDR XK engine kit......

001.jpg

Below is a close-up of the block to show the surface texture....in the case of engine blocks etc. this can work to your advantage as cast iron blocks aren't baby butt smooth anyway. However, with valve covers etc, the surface will have to be finish smoothed before paint & detailing. That's just the nature of the beast.

There are no bubbles or hidden voids as these parts are not resin cast. The quarter is for size comparison.

008.jpg

This is amazing technology .. the parts look fantastic. Are these 1/8 scale?

Yes this example is 1/8th. They can be printed in any scale. The texture however remains the same whether 1/12th or 1/4....it doesn't change. The cost goes up considerably as the parts get bigger and if they don't fit in the equipments working window, they have to be done in sections.

Here's a pic of the (44 piece) 1/8th scale TDR XK engine kit......

001.jpg

Below is a close-up of the block to show the surface texture....in the case of engine blocks etc. this can work to your advantage as cast iron blocks aren't baby butt smooth anyway. However, with valve covers etc, the surface will have to be finish smoothed before paint & detailing. That's just the nature of the beast.

There are no bubbles or hidden voids as these parts are not resin cast. The quarter is for size comparison.

008.jpg

This looks interesting, but if they're not resin, what are they?

These parts are made by creating a digital 3D model in CAD. The 3D model is then sliced in many layers and sent to a printer a layer at a time. The print head goes back and forth in a similar way that your ink jet printer prints on paper and it prints a cross section of the part with each layer. This method is called Rapid Prototyping.

The material is a composit of plaster and epoxy resin. When the parts come out of the printer, they are composed of plaster and binder (binder is sprayed on the layer of powder instead of ink). The parts are brushed off and dipped in epoxy to give them added strength.

I hope this helps define how these parts are made and what they are made of.

Edited by arick

i understand the basic physical process involved in rapid prototyping, so the obvious question becomes can this technology ultimately take the place of the traditional injection molding process and be economical in large-scale production (as in mass-production?)

How many years do you figure we're away from the point where RP becomes cost-effective in large-scale production?

Harry, this is new technology for most of us. Will it replace injection molding?.....not any time soon. Resin is resin, injection molding ditto, each has it's own set of pluses and minuses.

We really can't compare apples to oranges. Like MF says....it is what it is. I can say however, as the technology advances & prices come down.....who knows. There are already "desk top" units ( still a bit pricey) so there is a lot of potential. I know of one company that introduces metal into the hopper and fires it at 1400 degrees.....zap, metal parts or masters for casting. The equipment is becoming more affordale and some amazing things are being done. For instance, the inside and outside of an object can be printed at one time. Hollow objects don't have to be done in pieces or open at the ends. If you notice, Tim has added structural webbing to the inside the of the XK engine block to add strength and stability, that's unique to this process. Try that with resin.

There's much more to say, but I'll leave all that to the TDR design team......all that pixel twisting and 'puter lingo hurts my head.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

These parts are made by creating a digital 3D model in CAD. The 3D model is then sliced in many layers and sent to a printer a layer at a time. The print head goes back and forth in a similar way that your ink jet printer prints on paper and it prints a cross section of the part with each layer. This method is called Rapid Prototyping.

The material is a composit of plaster and epoxy resin. When the parts come out of the printer, they are composed of plaster and binder (binder is sprayed on the layer of powder instead of ink). The parts are brushed off and dipped in epoxy to give them added strength.

I hope this helps define how these parts are made and what they are made of.

"...a digital 3D model in CAD"

"The 3D model is then sliced in many layers and sent to a printer a layer at a time."

Pretty sure I've seen something like this done a couple years (?) ago on a much simpler basis.

Would be really interesting if you could post up some pictures (or diagrams) of the 'digital 3D model'

and the layers of the 3D model, and/or a video of the process.

Harry, this is new technology for most of us. Will it replace injection molding?.....not any time soon. Resin is resin, injection molding ditto, each has it's own set of pluses and minuses.

I guarantee you, 4-5 years from now we'll be able to go to Best Buy and buy an RP printer and software, design our own parts in 3D and literally output custom parts on our workbench. It's going to happen, the only question is how soon. The technology isn't theoretical, it exists. Now it's only a matter of bringing the cost down to consumer levels. Ain't technology cool? B)

Hey CB. Here is a video I found that profiles the exact process we use to make our parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfUva9Y3BJY

Harry, desktop manufacturing is very close. I have seen 3d printers advertised for $14,000 which is wayyyyy down from just 5 years ago. Plus, now that 3d laser scanners can be bought for $3,000, the generating of 3d models by non-computer modelers, is very close too!

I think in the next 5 to 10 years there will be a MAJOR shift in how car modelers do their thing!

Edited by DaytonaTim

The tech just keeps getting better & better CB, the TDR gang is all over this stuff like stink on on a skunk.

I'm older than dirt and it takes a lot to get me excited, like most of you guys I grew weary of wishing for this or that hoping that the big $$$$$$$$$$$$ manufacturers would respond to what modelers really wanted. Well buddy, buckle your seat belt.........the TDR "Big Al" engine will be ready for production soon. It's a monster, 12 cylinders and close to 2,000 h.p. Stay tuned........you'll get a sneek peek here at Model Cars Magazine forum in a few.