Model Cars Magazine Forum

I posted this response to a comment Harry made about how he's trying to keep everyone happy here on the forum about OFF-TOPICS being posted, but is having some confusion about how to do it, and not have people getting upset.

I decided to do a seperate thread.

THIS IS MY RESPONSE...NOT GREGGS OR HARRYS.

Personally and simply, I think we all need to realize that we can't have everything our own way on this forum, and be willing to let it be that way, once things have been discussed and decided by HARRY AND GREGG.

Why selfishly make their job more difficult, and more labor intensive, monitoring this site, and having to settle squabbles and complaints, instead of spending more quality time putting out a great magazine, and visiting with us here on this forum we all enjoy.

I hear people disagreeing from time to time about different topics, and they sound pretty much like "THE OTHER GUY ON THE OTHER FORUM THAT MANY HERE SEEM TO COMPLAIN ABOUT '

I THINK SOME OF US NEED TO LOOK IN THE MIRROR....AND THEN THINK ABOUT WHAT THEY'RE GOINT TO SAY, AND HOW IT WILL AFFECT OTHERS, INSTEAD OF JUST NOT CARING, AND "CLAIMING THEIR RIGHTS".

WHATTA YA ALL SAY THAT WE ALL TRY, INCLUDING ME, TO BE MORE RESPECTFUL TO ONE ANOTHER HERE, AND TREAT EACH OTHER MORE AS FRIENDS, INSTEAD OF HIDING BEHIND OUR COMPUTORS AND USING THEM AS WEAPONS AT TIMES, TO BE DOWN RIGHT MEAN AND SELFISH.

Here's my quote from the other thread.

{ Quote}

HARRY.....THE FIRST THING I'd like to do is compliment you on doing a GREAT JOB here on the forum trying to provide all of us with what we want, and would like to see this forum be, and support us in the topics we post.

Personally, I don't see how you do it, with everything else you have to do besides .

BUT.....I DON'T SEE YOUR JOB AS A BABY SITTER....FOR EVERY LITTLE COMPLAINT .

Most everyone here is pretty grown up about what's posted, but a few seem to like to "STIR IT UP", or COMPLAIN and want everything their way.

I understand that "THE OTHER FORUM" has some pretty hard and fast rules and his line of communication is viewed as 'PRETTY BRUTAL". I think his style of communicating, and his methods of keeping the rules and order, are the biggest problems, "NOT THE RULES THEMSELVES".

DIPLOMACY AND GOOD COMMUNICATION ARE THE SKILLS USED TO EFFECTIVELY KEEP ORDER AND MAINTAIN THE RULES, WITHOUT FEELING LIKE YOU HAVE TO MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY.

TO ME, IT'S NOT YOUR JOB TO MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY....WHICH AS YOU CAN TELL "AINT NEVER GONNA HAPPEN" ANYWAY .

YOU AND GREGG BOTH HAVE A GOOD SENCE OF HUMOR HAVE GREAT PERSONALITIES, AND EVERYONE LIKES YOU GUYS BECAUSE YOUR ONE OF US, AND YOU TREAT US LIKE FRIENDS AND FAMILY, AND YOU LISTEN TO WHAT PEOPLE SAY AND RESPOND RESPECTFULLY...MOST OF THE TIME .....YOU NEED TO DRAW STRENGTH FROM THAT.

WE ALREADY KNOW YOU WOULDN'T TREAT US LIKE "THE OTHER GUY", SO YOU NEED TO QUIT WORRYING ABOUT COMPLAINTS AND MAKING EVERYONE HAPPY.

WE'RE MOSTLY ADULTS HERE, AND THOSE WHO DON'T ACT THAT WAY NEED TO BE NICELY TOLD "TO GET OVER THEMSELVES AND GROW UP" .

WHAT I'M SIMPLY SAYING IS, "WE ALL NEED RULES AND REGULATIONS" FOR GUIDELINES AND BOUNDRIES, SO THERE ISN'T UNMANAGIBLE TURMOIL HERE.

YOU AND GREGG NEED TO DECIDE WHAT THOSE RULES ARE, AND THEN THAT'S IT ...NICELY, RESPECTFULLY, FIRMLY, AND DEPENDABLY REAFFIRMING AND MAINTAINING THOSE GUIDELINES....SIMPLE .

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Amen, Dave. However, you and I know that there will be people who will gripe about anything, especially if their skin is no thicker than a piece of vellum. The rules are quite simple- no political or religious discussions. I've been a good kid and haven't spouted off my views since July (and there's times I really want to). It's like when you come to my house or ride in my car- I have a no smoking policy. This is along the same lines- house rules.

99% of the time the concept of "self-policing" works pretty well here. There is rarely anything actually "offensive" posted here (at least as far as I define "offensive"), and when there is, it gets removed... but posts that are truly offensive (rude, vulgar, whatever) are extremely rare here.

Political/religious posts are a little more common... well, they used to be, but since the issue has been raised and talked about here lately, those posts have also pretty much disappeared.

Like Dave said, it's impossible to keep everyone happy all the time... there will inevitably be posts that pop up now and then that will offend someone... but for the most part it looks like you guys are doing a pretty good job of keeping the peace amongst yourselves. Which is a good thing, because Gregg only gave me the one bullet... :o

I agree , you can't make everyone happy...not even on your last day on earth if they don't love you. :P

I don't want to rant here, but I have been holding back a LONG time. I can't tell you how many "lengthy" replies I have typed out in good gesture, then said heck with it and deleted them. I believe most everyone here is very cool and laid back but alot of guys here have "thin skin" and I am afraid to upset people with my replies or posts....why? I really don't care much what people think of me, but when I make contact with anyone.....I do it with honesty, if I can't say what's on my mind then it's frustrating. I also don't want this to be a big drama reply on my part, but since I am known as a member here and have affiliated with Gregg and the magazine....people think I am someone they can talk to. Not that many....just a few, but a few people have complained to me they don't want to come here because of all the OFF TOPIC stuff that just seems to take over the real reason we are here. I am not kidding...people either won't join or have joined but not willing to talk or show their work because of the drama, the off topic, the religious, political, economic and other types of posts that have NOTHING to do with modeling!

Come on guys, let's get it together! Have more pride in this magazine and forum and more respect for your fellow modelers and the newcomers that will run away when they see your horse hockey posts!

Another thing, we may not all like each other....many of us see each other at shows and I DO hear the backstabbing and smack talking first hand.....but let's knock it off ok? I see people other than Jeff Sauber deleting their own posts because they get PM's or emails or straight replies on their stuff that makes them feel like not even trying to share.

90% of this hobby is held together by ADULTS....men and women in their 40's and older. (not setting much of an example for the kids we all say to promote the hobby to)

The way I see it....if people can't treat everyone else and the forum as a whole with more respect....then they should leave and stop boring everyone else to death with the debates and such.

Please make the GENERAL section a place where we can chat amongst friends.....but leave the above mentioned stuff out.

Sorry to rant....but this stuff has got to stop once and for all! That should go for everyone... I don't care if Hummer is taken over by the Mayans and the world explodes tomorrow.....TODAY I come here to visit about MODELS. :o

I REALLY don't understand what the fuss is about. Harry held a vote, an the majority spoke. NO OFF TOPIC DISCUSIONS! I DIDN'T start it It just happened. NOW if it's posted NO RELIGIOUS OR POLITICAL discusions, like I said, THAT'S OK by me too! When Marshall posted his Bonnie an Clyde thread, I jokeingly stated that fact, AND also it was a GOOD idea for a Diorama. To ME that WAS in the same vein as a MODEL RELATED subject. So.... If Theres to be NO Pol/Relg discusion JUST SAY SO!!!!! I DON'T think our members are that stupid as to NOT understand WHAT THAT MEANS!!!! DON'T BRING THOSE SUBJECTS UP an it shouldn't rile NOBODIES feathers! Some guys just seem ta wanna start stuff, I just made a joke of it, BUT I ALSO mentioned it WAS model related, So that it COULD be brought up. I don't care WHAT is banned, I ain't goin nowhere, I LOVE this place I've said it before, an it's true. If there's folks who get all worked up cazza someones Political or Religious beliefs, QUIT beein such a wussey an realise that EVERYBODY thinks DIFFERENTLY about stuff! NOBODIES RIGHT OR WRONG! Butch up an just let those that DON'T agree with what someone may believe, feel anyway they WANT TOO! It DON'T hurt me if Folks don't wanna talk about God, or if those same folks are perturbed caz I voted for Obama, WHO CARES!!! Yeesh guys, this place is SUPPOSED to be for our enjoyment! If guys get enjoyment outta startin krap, then yeah, I think they should be dumped, jus like the guy who came on here a started rakein over some guys builds an din't even build stuff himself, or the Plastic surgery guy. NEITHER of those clowns had a reason ta be here, an they WERE dumped! GREAT MOVE as far as I'm concerened. If ya can't say nothin nice, the just keep quiet, if it don't have nuthin to do with our hobby, same feelings! I think Harry an Gregg do a GREAT job in runnuing this place, I'M HAPPY, if others get bent outta shape over some stuff,that's THEIR problem, NOT MINE! I think ol Rodney King said it best, "Why Can't We ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!!" (before he was clobbered by the cops, an won a million dollar lawsuit! :o )

The fuss George is because it still keeps coming....look over the general section and say that it's stopped....still stuff coming up. If someone wants to talk about say .... knitting?....the topic drags on, people getting tired.....but someone mentioned "would be cool if you could knit seat covers for my model"......all the sudden it's ok to have the off topic post going because someone made a model related suggestion? Why even have it in the FIRST place??? Someone is going to read THIS thread right now and think to themselves that we are out of control, because again we have another disagreement and the thing is....people want it to stop....and others are saying " I don't know what the fuss is about?".... ugh!

I am serious as a doorknob, I am tired of the integrity of this place being taken down several notches by this stuff! I am not here yelling, just tired of it is all. I asked Gregg to be a moderator here temporarily just to "tidy up"....I hope he let's me so we can fix the problems and get back to what we came for.......fun, learning, sharing, friends and plastic! :)

George, just replying with some sense is all.....nothing personal. :D

One persons off topic is another inspiration for their next build.

Photos of 1-1 hippy campers (little wooden house built on a pickup) would be model car related to some and off topic to others.

I think the flaw in Harry's poll was including politics, yes there are some who want nothing that does not have an actual model car in it, but I think most were voting against religion / politics.

There is such thing as too off topic even for an off topic area but I don't really know where that line is, except for spam.

One persons off topic is another inspiration for their next build.

Photos of 1-1 hippy campers (little wooden house built on a pickup) would be model car related to some and off topic to others.

I think the flaw in Harry's poll was including politics, yes there are some who want nothing that does not have an actual model car in it, but I think most were voting against religion / politics.

There is such thing as too off topic even for an off topic area but I don't really know where that line is, except for spam.

I don't see anything wrong with posting photos of real vehicles....afterall that's where most of us draw ideas from. However if someone started posting pictures of trailer parks and pointing out some of the funny lawn furniture or other things about them... I don't think that's constitution for building a diorama unless....that's what the post was made for in the first place. :D But really I don't care if people want to "talk" about stuff....it's just the WHAT'S HAPPENING outside our hobby topics that really bug me. I know what's going on out there....the world is a great big mess and that's why I come here to hide from it! :)

AHHHH, But Ron, There IS a section down at the bottom that LISTS members B-Days, Soooo, There IS a thread for it! If there's a PERMANENT thread, it CAN'T be off topic. Or can it???? Harry, yer call!!!! :P:huh:;)

George,

I just want to be with-in the rules. Because, like you I truly enjoy this forum by leaps and bounds over any other forum that I have visited or joined. I want to comply to whatever Gregg & Harry feel is appropriate so I can continue to be here as a member. Lets see what the big kahuna has to say.

Please, NO MORE ALL CAPS!! It's really annoying---as bad as those who can't spell, use proper grammar or punctuation.

So no O/T and no ALL CAPITOL LETTERING.

I'm gonna have to hire me a secretary to keep track of all the rules that people want instituted. HUH-BOY

Seems that would be a bit anal to not say Happy Birthday to someone. Would also be nice if we could just concentrate on the subject at hand instead of prying other things up to mention that have no relativity.

It's plain to see that there will be something to complain about if there is nothing to complain about. ie. ALL CAPS bugs some people, well some people have to type in ALL CAPS because they can't see very well. Some people like ME like to point out certain words because the majority skims over what is typed and without the CAPS on some words people don't see them inadvertently. However, to each their own....large letters don't bother me, if they did I would have to go see a psych and find out what happened in my childhood. ( cynical maybe ) ( smiling now , yes ) Funny how the way someone types can just drive others absolutely insane. As for those misspelling words all the time.....well we all didn't do perfect in school and as long as I know what they are trying to say, I am okay with it. Sometimes I get in a hurry and make typo's, but I never use spellcheck....ever. Maybe other's are the same way? But I do know there are some that type in a way that it's clear they don't care. ( not that many that I have seen though )

So, are we going to pick out all of our faults to justify the real reason for this thread? Or will we try to work together and solve the problem by simply not posting OFF TOPIC?

This would include politics, religion, your pets, you neighbors killer BBQ, economics, poems, belief's, hypothetical or other redundancies. ( nobody comes to MCM hoping to find these topics ) Personally, I come here to see friends, learn, share and help people.

Saying Happy Birthday is completely on topic.....saying hello to a friend, fellow modeler is ok with me.

George mentioned what he thought General was for when he joined and that's exactly how I felt. General topics about modeling. Example "AMT vs Revell '32 Fords"....inside you find discussion about those kits. It's not hard to stay on topic really. ;)

I don't know what else to say, I hope everyone can just get the points being made and we can stop nitpicking. :D

Edited by awbcrazy

Seems that would be a bit anal to not say Happy Birthday to someone. Would also be nice if we could just concentrate on the subject at hand instead of prying other things up to mention that have no relativity.

No need to get nasty & vulgar about it Bob, I'm just trying to find that line between what is considered O/T and what is not.

Personally, I have never posted anything that could be constrewed as off topic. But, sence you and I are not the only ones that come on here this needs to be totally cleared up so everyone understands what is acceptable.

We (you & I) see eye to eye on many of the things you have wrote here, and maybe you missed my responce to George53 about the birthday thing but here it is again. "I just want to be with-in the rules. because like you I truly enjoy this forum...I want to comply to whatever Gregg & Harry feel is appropriate so I can continue to be here as a member."

I am now a little clearer on what that is.

Things like "jokes" & "2012" and such, as the most recent. So please don't twist my words up. We need to clear the fog from everyones windshield so all will understand what exactly is taking place here.

I went back 5 pages in this General section and found these O/T posts that I think might be what you are talking about;

1. The dismantling of america continues... HARRY, this was yours.

2. The rebuilding and re-defining of America... Treehugger dave.

3. Leprechauns...arni

4. Electric box fun little game...JayC

5. Whats everyones profession...stanleymsn

6. Quick ? laid off out of work...modeltrucker

along with the two above Jokes & 2012. I think I get what you mean.

But please lets keep it civil, flameing people only adds to the confusion and resentment.

Edited by RJWood