Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint in the cold

I have my work area set up im my garage which is unheated. It is in the basement of my rowhome so it isnt a detached garage.I'm in Philadelphia so we have winter lows in the single digits.I would guess my garage though would be in the 40s at its coldest.

Do I have to worry about spray cans in these temps?

** I bought a little heater which I am using to warm the garage before I start working,so when I do spray everything is warmed up.

I have my work area set up im my garage which is unheated. It is in the basement of my rowhome so it isnt a detached garage.I'm in Philadelphia so we have winter lows in the single digits.I would guess my garage though would be in the 40s at its coldest.

Do I have to worry about spray cans in these temps?

** I bought a little heater which I am using to warm the garage before I start working,so when I do spray everything is warmed up.

I live in South Florida, and have painted cars in just about every type of climate environment. The only problem I ever had was with humidity and heat, which made the paint prone to run a little or bubble. Painting in a basement could result in some dust particles on the finish, which are removed in part or whole by a polishing system and rubbing out the car. I built quite an elaborate paint booth for my garage, and still encountered a dust spot now and then, no matter how many precautions I took.

I now use my workroom inside my spare bedroom and my paint booth with a fan and vent to the outside, and to date haven't had any problems. Last January it got a little cold in the daytime at 20 degrees but it was bone dry and the paint came out crisp and clean. My spare bedroom is generally closed off when I am not working in it, so I would guess that the interior temp at time of paint was in the thirties.

To me, the greatest enemies of applying paint are sunlight or lack of light, dust, humidity, rainy conditions outside, fans, space and portable heaters close by, and heat. Avoiding these would give you the results you desire I would guess.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

You might want to block your sink drain, fill it up with warm-hot water, "luke-hot?" and soak the can in that for a few minutes. That will bring it up to temp if your worried about the paint inside. That's what we do if it's too cold in Colorado.

Fujimi lover has you on the right track. I put my spray paint in a sink of hot water, about 160 degrees, as it comes out of the faucet. Leave it a few minutes, shake it, if it still feels cold, put it back in the water for a few minutes than check again. When it feels warm, NOT hot, it will spray beautifully, especially if you've shaken it thoroughly. I painted a car this way outside in 28 degrees last winter, then took it inside, and the paint came out great. Its still not finished, but has a good paint job. :lol:

Gary

the perpetual non-finisher

I have waited for the weather to stop snowing so I could go outside to paint!

The trick is to be exposed to the cold as little as possible. I would get everything ready to step outside. I had the can of paint in the warm water, and when ready I would wipe the can dry, grab the model parts along with a tack rag, and step out. Make it quick... tack the parts, shake the can one last time, and go with the first coat. Take it back inside... pray you don't kick up any dust!

Do the second (and third if necessary) the same way... keep the can warm, as well as the plastic. When moving around, don't move too quick or you could stir up dust.

I never said it was an ideal work enviroment! But, it can work

I just wait till Dad's not home, put some news papers, cardboard etc' on the floor and paint inside where it's nice and warm! Open the windows a little for fresh air of coarse! :lol:

>GRIN!<

Once when it was just TOO cold to paint outside, I decided to use the empty apartment above me! Here in the country, we don't always lock everything. I went in with a big blue poly tarp, covered up that kitchen the best I could.

Worked great! No overspray problems... no landlord problems either.

Your results may vary.

You might want to block your sink drain, fill it up with warm-hot water, "luke-hot?" and soak the can in that for a few minutes. That will bring it up to temp if your worried about the paint inside. That's what we do if it's too cold in Colorado.

That's what I do all year round, just be careful if you're going to use Pactra's candy lacquers, wait until it's warmer or atleast bring the piece in where it's warm because it has a funny reaction to cold weather. Last time I did that the lexan shell I painted looked like it had a pretty serious clear coat fade like you sometimes see on early 90's Jeeps!

It's 56 here in Salem, Or. I have a space heater in my studio while the rest of the house is kept at a balmy 58. :D

Even so... it still takes time for the lacquer to dry during the winter months. A week for enamel unless I keep the space heater on 24/7. Oh.... and I do all my painting indoors but keep the air pressure low so the over-spray is as little as possible. When doing a LOT of shooting I have a window fan that works great in evacuating the fumes.

Life is good, huh? :D

I grew up in the mountains where it would often get down into single digits and/or negative temps. I learned early to keep my paints warm when painting. I would keep my paints standing in warm water when painting, and used an old hair dryer the my sister had quit using as a painting stand to keep the parts I was painting Warm. This was one of those old Bonnet type dryers. I just made a frame to hold the bonnet out of clothes hangers. After painting I would leave the painted items under the hood for three or four hours to dry.

CHEERS!