Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is my most recent build from the old Scout II kit. For the first time, I adressed some of my old gripes with it:

015_15-vi.jpg

I straightened out the incorrect curve to the upper edge of the grille and hood, and resized the headlamp bezels to a more realistic size, to get rid of the 'beady eyed' look of the kit. I also took the opportunity to add clear lenses to the headlamps, and add the missing hood peak and turn-signal panel cut lines.

016_16-vi.jpg

In back, I used BMF to simulate the taillamp bezels. The Michigan Bicentennial 'Scout' plate was an absolute must!

014_15-vi.jpg

What you see here is a combination of parts box (booster/master cylinder, reservoirs, and battery), and scratchbuilt (heater box, charcoal cannister) items, to fill out the kit's sparse engine bay. I did forget the steering column- d'oh! Next time...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'm gonna build a matching Transtar!

Nice build. I built that kit back in the 70s. Despite not having steering wheels, the quality and detail of Ertl truck kits was showing AMT how to do it. My friend’s family won a real Scout like that at a Cincinnati Reds promotional 7th inning stretch back in the 70s.

Edited by chuckyr

Nice build. I built that kit back in the 70s. Despite not having steering wheels, the quality and detail of Ertl truck kits was showing AMT how to do it. My friend’s family won a real Scout like that at a Cincinnati Reds promotional 7th inning stretch back in the 70s.

Thanks from one Chucky to another!

I only wish they'd done a Travelall to go with the Scout kit!

LOL, I was thinking, what??????? I know I remember seeing a steering wheel in my original Scout kits?????? Then I realised you meant front wheels that are steerable. LOL

Dangling participle?

Something is dangling... glad to know it's just a participle! :lol::D

Nice work! I see you added the panel line between the quarter and end cap too!

But, why not red on the engine??? ;)

The washer bottle that is in the Paystar kits is correct to fit in the Scout also...

But I missed the panel lines on the cowl!

I went with the body-color engine and chrome accessories as kind of a custom touch, like something I might do if I were to rebuild a 1:1 Scout II.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chuck, tell me about it....ive been trying to find a model of a IH Travelall for years,my brother was in Iowa somewhere and seen a model box on the wall behind a counter of a traveall. knowing how bad i wanted one he didnt bother to ask about it for me.........dont know if it was in the box or not,cant help but think it was most likely an opportunity lost......hes been into models for years as i have and am fairly certain that he would know what he was looking at.however i wasnt there..........maybe a rare ertl blue print kit by his description would be my guess? if anyone ever finds one or a photo of the kit please let me know...........mark

Hi cargostar, thanks for the info! the kit would have been made back in the early 80s, he was sure about it being 1/25th or 1/24th scale with the box art that would match the early ertl blue print era. maybe it was like a one off box art sample that didnt go any further ? if they didnt produce it they should.........be a really nice addition to truck or IH guys dont you think? i also was wondering if anyone has seen the new lindburg fuel tanker trailer? if so whats it like on the inside.....i had the trailer when i was a kid and it wasnt bad back then? nice to see something a little different show-up. thanks a lot for the info.........mark

The only 70's Travelall that has been done was back in the 90's in the "Micro Machines" line. I think iw was 1/80th scale or something goofy. Otherwise just the Liberty Classics/First Gear 50's Traveall

I think there was also a MM Scout II- but do NOT quote me on that!

Nope, no Scouts in the Micro Machines....Matchbox/Lesney had a generic looking 1st. generation Scout, and Ertl had a Scout Traveller in 1/64th, and now Johnny Lightning has several variations of a '77-79 Scout II.

Yeah- Dave- I found the one I was thinking of, it appears to be a generic '73-'79 K Blazer-ish thingie. I have the Ertl 1/64 diecast of the '77 Scout II (came with an IH tractor), and it's more accurate in appearance than the 1/25 kit! ;)

Hi Chuck, thanks...........by the way......what or who have you been feeding that cat???????????????????????? mark

I don't know.... and I'm not sure I WANT to! :D

Heres one version of the Micro Machines Travelall, and several versions of the Matchbox first generation Scout. DSC03958.jpg

And heres a shot of some of the collection here. There is a total of 36' of case on this wall, more to be added, and its all IH light duty and truck toys and collectables.

DSC03957.jpg

and Chuck.....Hans Eugene Bucklesgrueber??????

Edited by cargostar

The Line Drawing is an A/B series Scout, but the model itself is the Scout II kit with the early grille, which seems a touch weird. But it's a pretty cool adaptation of the Scout II kit at any rate!

A pretty cool picture, Chucky, thanks for sharing!

Still can't believe there's not even a RESIN first-gen Scout :lol: !

Edited by Chuck Most

The '76 grill was the first issue of the Scout II kit, it was modified in later years to have the '77-'79 grill.

The Travelall is one of three we have around here. Two on display, and one salvage. They were all converted from stock T/a's by a division of IH called Springfield Equipment. The one in the corner of the pic has been lengthened and a raised to added. I'll see if I can find my pics.