Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Current Project

Hello all, I thought I would post a link (can't get the hang of putting pics on here) of my most current project. I got a wild hair to build a Smokey and the Bandit Kenworth after seeing some really nice 1/25 and 1:1 replicas that were recently built.

I started out with plans to build a very mildly detailed version but as I went along, the little gremlins inside me kept saying "no, don't just do that, add this and this!" LOL

The primary kit is the AMT Watkins Kenworth W925 with the torsion bar suspension and the second main kit that was bashed together is a Revell Gemany Kenworth W900 dump truck.

The chassis is from the AMT KW, the cab is from the Revell KW with the rear wall and air cleaner pass thru's grafted on from the AMT cab, the roof of the AMT cab was used to make the new headliner. The hood and the top, rear, front and bottom of the sleeper are from the AMT kit and the sides of the sleeper are from the Revell kit.

I used brass to make new sleeper steps, mudflap hangers and mudflap hanger brakets on the frame.

The fuel tanks were machined out of aluminum, to my specs by Jamie Rahmoeller (he did an outstanding job on them!)They are resting on resin Kenworth style fuel tank mounting brackets that I had scratch built and had Jamie Rahmoeller cast for me.

The trailer is getting some modifications to it as well to make it more like the one from the movie.

I started this project in late October and wanted to have the tractor finished by now but with the holidays, starting a new job and nasty cold rainey weather, I have not progressed much these past few weeks.

Theres also another album of one of my next projects, a Don the Snake Prudhomme Dodge funny car hauler. I'll be doing the Mongoose hauler as well but i'm searching for more reference pics.

The last album is the Scona oilfield float trailer that Klaus Clever produced the kit of several years ago.

The link to my albums is:

http://public.fotki.com/lotso/

I still remember being close to first in line on opening night for the first Smokey and the Bandit movie at our local cinema.

Can't wait to see this build progress further.

Your detailing is phenomenal.

I wish I could have found brass channel for my cab steps, I probably scrapped at least 2 dozen attempts with Plastruct.

I don't know if it's just the photo, but your door panels painted look just like actual black vinyl to me . . . any special prep/paint there that you'd consider sharing?

Please keep the pics coming, I was very inspired looking through your album.

Best Regards,

Wayne

Really like the decals on the filters. Did you do them yourself?

Thanks! I have bought those filter decals from a few different people. Those in particular are from Dougs Scale Truck Replicas out of Canada.

I also have some from Kurt who is a member here and he sells them through the Sourkraut Model Truck web site. They are very nice and he makes all kinds of useful detailing decals for engines, chassis filters, etc.

I still remember being close to first in line on opening night for the first Smokey and the Bandit movie at our local cinema.

Can't wait to see this build progress further.

Your detailing is phenomenal.

I wish I could have found brass channel for my cab steps, I probably scrapped at least 2 dozen attempts with Plastruct.

I don't know if it's just the photo, but your door panels painted look just like actual black vinyl to me . . . any special prep/paint there that you'd consider sharing?

Please keep the pics coming, I was very inspired looking through your album.

Best Regards,

Wayne

Hi Wayne, thanks! To replicate the door panels used on the movie truck(s) I cut the diamond tuck upholstery out of the panels and put Evergreen ribbed panel in thier place.

I then just painted them with semi gloss black paint.

I used gloss, semi gloss and flat black on the interior pieces to break things up.

Very cool Ben! Just one thing though. The album with the Scona trailer; that looked like afinished model. You don't want to ruin your reputation do you? B)

LOL, that was built by Klaus Clever. Jamie bought that kit and it didn't have the CD with all those pictures on it which are essentially the instructions on how to build it. I don't have a way to make a CD for him so I made that album for him to use.