Model Cars Magazine Forum

Panit Color and Primer/Sealer Question

Casey

I'm nearing the end of bodywork, and all imperfections have been addressed. I've applied at least four coats of Dupli-Color White sandable lacquer primer and will sand it one last time (probably using 600 or 800 grit) before I add the next layer...which brings me to my question.

The color coat is going to be Moulin Rogue/Panther Pink Testors lacquer, so I would like to spray it over the white primer (and probably will), but I'm unsure if I should apply a sealer coat before I shoot the pink lacquer. Adding to my apprehension is the grey color of the Dupli-Color lacquer primer sealer I would use.

Suggestions?

unless you have major body imperfections that need sealer I would mist your color coats on over the white primer and then clear it. if you shoot grey sealer on it will take at least 3 if not 4 color coats to get the right tint..and it may still be darker than you want.

Guest snapper

I ran a test last week with different primers (2 whites and 1 grey) and colors just to see how it would affect the color. I know this may vary depending on the paint, but with red paint, the white primer definitely made the color more vibrant as opposed to grey.

For me, gray primer is a nice neutral color for doing body work, but for most bright colors I do as most car painters, and thats use a white primer, as a final primer before color, unless I want to tone down the color, then you can use a gray or for a black paint job, I use a black primer, to give the gloss black more intensity and depth.

A lot of things make a big difference in painting.

Air and paint temp. conditions, painting technique, brand and style of paint, and familiarity with the products you use, can make or brake your sucess.

I agree with Treehugger Dave on this, I like to use flat black under blacks when I paint them and I use nothing but White primer for light colors.

I was watching Chip Foose do a Chevelle in red. He used white primer but then he used bright yellow as a base coat. I've never seen this done before but it really made the red pop. I done a test panel the same way using model master acrylics and it really made the red brighter and deeper.

Although I did screw up a body this week using white primer. I purchased it from Tower Hobbies, all it said was 10oz can white lacquer primer by Top Flight.

It spayed on real nice and level and once it dried it turned into a real smooth gloss finish. I couldn't sand it because it is like Porcelain Enamel. Even Easy Off oven cleaner doesn't touch it. I sprayed it on a set of headers I made from solder after wiping them down with a tac cloth I spayed 2 coats out of the can. Today they are hard as a rock and smooth, They look like they just got back from the powder coater.

Top Flight is for RC vehicles and I noticed it does say it is fuel proof. When I first read it I thought it said fool proof. Old age whatcha gonna do? sad.gif

Edited by oldman23