Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Dual Superbee builds...Finally!

Guest Sickfish

Kind of interesting with the red roof. Interesting note and slight thread jack... My grandmother was a Mopar lady most of her life. The one car I remember her having way too much fun in for a grandmother was a 70/71 Plymouth Duster 340. It was silver with a red roof, bench seat and torqueflite. She used to dust mustangs in it all the time. Interesting thing about it, All her cars were silver with a red roof. Her Duster was one of those 'not available' cars that Mopar produced. I wanted it when she went to trade it in on a Buick, but she sold it to some kid down the street. He wrapped it around a tree within a year ;):lol: The Bees are looking sharp! Makes me want to build my Nana's car!

Guest Sickfish

Brad....sexy??? Now that's a first!!! Lol!

Nails... Mate it's a diff' body to the first spare that I used, this one was an old fast'n'furious charger body that didn't have the seam lines in the roof ;-)

Ken... Interesting story, build your nan's Duster!

Cheers Cliffo! :-)

Guest Sickfish

Looks like I've made a boo-boo guys, keep referring back to pics of the 'Bees I'm building on the first page of the thread but I didn't actually post 'em up :-(

So I'll post 'em up now ...

3a69b335.jpg

0eeb4461.jpg

Brad... The Phantom is sex-ier... The Hemi 'Bee can't be sexy... It's just waaaay too cool to be anything but...HOT! ;-)

Cheers guys & sorry about the boo-boo or in this case the 'bee-'bee ;-)

Cliffo!

Edited by Sickfish

Must've been your initial thread (in the 'under glass' section that had the pics of the 'Bees you were going to build. No biggie.......I have been following since the first post, so I know where you are going with these.

And yes Cliff..............HOT will most definately work as a descripitive!

Guest Sickfish

Cheers Brad ;-)

anyway.. I spent half the day replicating the engine bay area, particularily the area behind the grill & the radiator support. I initially didn't want to put the engine bay together & in place before painting but the detailing work I'm doing to these 'Bees has made it vital that everything is in the right place & fits well prior to paint ;-)

here's a 1:1 pic 1st....

25ae6474.jpg

e71a0eb5.jpg

cd18ecbb.jpg

more to come....

Edited by Sickfish

Guest Sickfish

Haha! Thanks Brad! I think I'll have to re-do the hood latching point, the first 1 was too big & this 1 looks too small... Back to the styrene! :-(

That latch point is bloody frustrating to get right, it's a pain 'cause of the downward kink in it! But I won't give up on it... Yet?! Lol

Cheers Cliffo ;-)

Here's the improved version... Think I got it right this time ;-)

109a84d7.jpg

eef39736.jpg

Edited by Sickfish

Guest Sickfish

Thanks Rusty & Deckerz!

Ok I think I finally got the front end engine bay done?! Got the hood pins in their place & won't be long now for paint...

5fbc583a.jpg

254d5d73.jpg

a344b6e7.jpg

Back to the table now...

Cheers guys, Cliffo :-)

Edited by Sickfish

Guest Sickfish

Dave thanks for the info but I'm well aware of the fenderwells not having a gap. I've done alot of research & continue to utilize all my reference pics for these builds. The engine bay ( fenderwells/firewall & radiator support) are tacked together lightly, for the purpose of fitment & added details. The unit ( together ) though is not set in place in the body & the gap appears because it isn't. The first thing I did to the bodies was fill & smooth out underneath the fenders, knowing that there would be a gap, having built this kit before, & specifically because no- one has paid attention to it before. Once I'm ready to go with installing/ setting the whole engine bay unit into place there shouldn't be any gap & it will be smoothed out ready for paint.

Cheers Cliffo ;-)

Edited by Sickfish

before you throw some paint on those things you may want to fill the gaps between the inner fenderwells and the fenders. this is an often missed area on these cars that makes a huge difference in appearance. the fender bolts to the top of the fenderwell on the 1:1, there is no gap.

Dave

Since you don't like that gap, how do you like the miniature upper a arms on that thing? lol

Guest Sickfish

Dwc43... Is there another conversation going on here??? Is this your thread??? Or is it a habit of your's to post comments in threads just because you like to??? & not because anyone's actually asked a question? I would appreciate it if you're actually commenting here, you might actually comment, good or bad, about the builds & not just adding your 2c to other members posts. Thanks.

As far as the A-arms are concerned I'm well aware of their undersizing & I'm sure most informed builders are & will be attending to that problem during the build process.

Once again, thanks.

Cheers Cliffo.

Dwc43... Is there another conversation going on here???

Is this your thread???

Or is it a habit of your's to post comments in threads just because you like to???

& not because anyone's actually asked a question?

I would appreciate it if you're actually commenting here, you might actually comment, good or bad, about the builds

As far as the A-arms are concerned I'm well aware of their undersizing & I'm sure most informed builders are

& will be attending to that problem during the build process.

Not that I am aware of

Nope, it's here for everyone to enjoy.

Yes

I asked the question

I did. Bad A arms just as the other poster commented on bad fenderwell gap

I'm not That's why I brought it up

Good for you. I would hope so with the other details you are adding.

Guest Sickfish

Ok guys I got around to detailing the grill, used 28 gauge wiring for the ring inside the grill & used the headlights from the Petty 64 Belvedere- they slotted right in! They might appear foggy in the pic but the glue I used will dry clear. ( Testors clear parts glue )

here's the pic... Don't worry, I haven't forgotten the middle section between the 2 halve's, that get some body colour paint when I get to doing the body's paint ;-)

b8c59f27.jpg

Brad, I don't see why you shouldn't post a wip of your Bee?? Just because I'm detailing mine doesn't mean I'm better than you or anyone else for that matter! We all have different skill levels & we all learn our craft from each other in one way or another. I've learnt how to build better models over the years with help from many, many other builders. I didn't get better by myself, it's taken decades for me to reach a level I'm happy to be at & that challenges me in this hobby. Trial & error are other factors, along with many abandoned or shelved kits. Tools, equipment, money, time are all major factors too, but the main factor in building/ upping your skill level is... Your drive, you've got to want to be better or do better, you know what I mean mate?? If my detailing of these Bees helps you learn & get better, or want to get a better result, then I'll be extremely happy for ya mate & can help you in any way you need, but please, post your Bee, don't feel discouraged Brad, if we all felt that way, & believe me, I have in the past, there wouldn't be a modelling hobby, would there?? Go ahead & post Brad! :-)

Cheers Cliffo :-)

Don't worry Cliff; I was kidding about not posting my builds (guess I should have used the smiley icon!). I just don't take pics of what I do.....that is why I might not post, not that I am scared (ok, mayyybbbee just a little :unsure:)

I do look to your builds for inspiration for my 'Bee. Only problem is it is quite a ways back in the build line-up. One day Cliff.........

Guest Sickfish

Ah Brad... You got me ;-) Lol. Would be nice to see your builds at some stage though??

Dave, it was my intention all along to make sure the engine bay on the builds would be as close to a 1:1 as I could make it & that includes the side fenders having no gap, as long as I was able to do it without too much of a hassle. It's a long process, this detailing, but I'm in no hurry at the moment. Thanks for your input & I totally agree with you on it mate!

Cheers guys, Cliffo :-)

Guest Sickfish

So I found a bit of time this morning & pretty much finished off the interior for the Phantom 'Bee! Due to these Bees being pretty much stock I haven't gone to any trouble detailing the interiors, since basically most of it won't be seen. Might just add seatbelts & leave it at that?! Colour is testors flat red covered with a couple of coats if semi gloss clear. Console/dash wooded areas done with testors leathe. Will put the finishing touches with the Kieth Marks decals tonight.

12b5e844.jpg

a9588bdf.jpg

Edited by Sickfish

So I found a bit of time this morning & pretty much finished off the interior for the Phantom 'Bee! Due to these Bees being pretty much stock I haven't gone to any trouble detailing the interiors, since basically most of it won't be seen. Might just add seatbelts & leave it at that?! Colour is testors flat red covered with a couple of coats if semi gloss clear. Console/dash wooded areas done with testors leathe. Will put the finishing touches with the Kieth Marks decals tonight.

12b5e844.jpgNow thats pretty! B)

a9588bdf.jpg