Model Cars Magazine Forum

TDR 8th Scale Barracuda

don, i for one appreciate when people go the extra distance to make things correct. the effort that's being put forth here, to move 1/8 scale into the muscle car era, is extraordinary. keep up the "extreme" effort, it doesn't go un-noticed or under appreciated.

Thanks Dave,

I want everyone to understand that I don't deserve all the credit for this...the 'Cuda project was well under way and the "bones" I have were very well done indeed.

I'm taking a started project up a notch or two with the help of TDR and large scale enthusiasts like yourself.

We have been stuck with what the big kids (Tamiya, R/M, etc.) have deemed fit to supply us with for far too long and we certainly aren't in a position to compete with the mass production injection molding corps.

Rather than go the wish list route or whine about it, TDR was formed.

Through old school craftsmanship and the new technology that the TDR design team brings to the table. It's all good, my friend.

There is a lot of stuff available in smaller scales but up to this point 1/8th has taken a back seat, as dedicated as TDR is to scale and accuracy...that's going to change.

015-1.jpg

Don, that's been one of my bigger complaints against the Revellogram '71 'Cuda for years now. Too much (incorrect) tumblehome, quad headlights too far apart among other things.

To the casual builder these faux pas are probably no big deal. But to us "proportion snobs", it's driven me crazy for years that Revell still hasn't seen fit to bring us a CORRECT modern 1970-71 Barracuda.

This is gonna be one FANTASTIC kit when it arrives! Now I gotta figure out what can I get rid of in my stash so I can come up with enough bucks to get one! :lol:

Very cool stuff!

:lol:

No need to dump your stash Bill, there is still much work to be done on this project.

Grab yourself a "Fish" bowl :D and start tossing your spare change in it.

One of the biggest reasons I'm posting this in progress development of the car is to give you modelers time to offer suggestions, make running changes, etc.

Changes or any of that can be accomplished at this point, once I have the finished molds done it will be very difficult to change or correct anything.

TDR has been putting in a lot of hours to bring you guys some new goodies including bodies, starter kits to include a body and many of the other parts to complete a car.

The goal here is to allow you modelers to either purchase just a body and add the support pieces as your hobby budget allows or purchase the whole thing at one time and save a couple of bucks on shipping etc.

We have no intention of now or ever offering a product to you guys for sale that was rushed to market just to make a few bucks. If a product isn't up to TDR's standards it gets scrapped or re-done.......period.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Len....glad you like it.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

How 'bout a wheel?

Pictures are of the wheel for this car but I stuck it into a couple of R/M tires just for giggles to see if it would fit the opening.....yep.

ACUDA3012.jpg

ACUDA3013.jpg

ACUDA3014.jpg

ACUDA3017.jpg

ACUDA3018.jpg

ACUDA3019.jpg

Well, gang...that's where I'm at to date on this project. Now it's off to the final sanding and prep work on the body and getting a mold made.

The mold will be a 5 piece bolt together assembly constructed of fiberglass.

I want to hand laminate the body (unless I run into a problem) in glass as a one piece unit.

There is no way that would be possible without a mold I can take apart to remove the casting from the mold without destroying the mold or the casting.

The mold will be constructed from fiberglass as well and unlike the silly putty used for resin casting it doesn't have a lot of give or tolerance for undercutting.

No worries, I have the Madd Fabricator looking over my shoulder and if the mold doesn't pass his calibrated eyeball test I'll have to do it over.

I can't wait to get mine. I'm one of the original investors and my heart is racing just reading this thread. FYI- I'm going to get all "1988" on mine. Blown hemi, steamroller tires, parachute on the street, Lenco trans. Pro Street Forever!

I can't wait to get mine. I'm one of the original investors and my heart is racing just reading this thread. FYI- I'm going to get all "1988" on mine. Blown hemi, steamroller tires, parachute on the street, Lenco trans. Pro Street Forever!

Sounds like a winner to me.......you original investors will be the first kids on the block to get a fiberglass body.

TDR has made it clear that no bodies will go to market until you have been taken care of.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them...lots of possibilities. I know you guys have waited a long time for these to see the light of day, I'm not going to go into all that.

TDR has only had it for a short while in comparison but I'll keep you posted on it's progress. We want you guys to be happy with them and feel like you got your investments worth.

If any of you original guys have any suggestions, questions or just want to do a little pipe dreamin' about what you are going to do with yours...please feel free to post in this thread. That will make them easy for me to find and we can share a little think tanking while I'm slinging glass & frustrating myself. Besides, it keeps me on my toes and focused to get it done.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

OMG !!

Someone please pass the respirator.......I thought I just saw a 1/8 'Cuda...................;) Tell me it ain't so.....I still have too many 1/12 to finish. B)

I better start saving.......seriously quick.........

OMG !!

Someone please pass the respirator.......I thought I just saw a 1/8 'Cuda...................;) Tell me it ain't so.....I still have too many 1/12 to finish. :lol:

I better start saving.......seriously quick.........

You're not hallucinating Stump, sorry I can't help you with the respirator. ;)

I looked through your linked build pics.........great stuff.

Hey, thanks Don. :lol: Glad you like some of my work too mate.

Well, now I have my breath back, all I can say is.....I can't wait to start collecting some 1/8 stuff now.....:) Too kool for words......

Of ALL the muscle cars of all time, the 70-71 'Cuda would be my second fav......a close second behind the 70 1/2 Camaro...;)

So unless you tell me you are going to start on one of them (did I hear someone say Motion...;) ) I'll start saving for one of these beauties..;)

As a few here know I freelance write for 'real car' magazines, so if you really want some attention for these things, e-mail me direct so I can set some editors up for pics. I do the same thing for several diecast companies and aftermarket parts sources, with excellent results... (okay, MOST of the time...)

I know you're gonna want to actually SELL the ###### things, (can't eat 'em, it messes up the paint) and I

d be happy to help. I operate from one principal... 'You can't get the customers money til you get the customers attention'...

Rick Rothermel 702-684-3418 rickr442@gmail.com

Well gang.......the master for the body is close to making me smile......

There was a while there where every time I picked it up I would find this or that requiring a little more TLC. I've put a bunch of extra time into this stage of production simply because once the 5 piece mold is made...it is what it is.

If I started with a questionable master the production bodies would be no better.

So much for the update on the 'Cuda body.

As some of you know TDR from time to time does a promotion or some sort of giveaway.......there are 2 reasons for this.

In the first place.....we believe that these "perks" show our appreciation for your support and it's a bit of advertising for TDR.

Secondly we honestly feel that giving back to the modeling community whenever possible is just the right thing to do.

All that being said, allow me to toss this on the table for discussion.

TDR doesn't have a resident staff of big biz vendors at our beckoning call...like you sometimes we need to go outside the group to keep up with production and keep our pricing affordable to the hobbyists.

Rather than go to the high priced guys and pass the costs on to you, I had a thought.

I'm sure some of you MCM members do some hobby resin casting, etc.

Understand this, TDR does not accept "seconds".

Items produced for TDR would be at wholesale prices and only available through TDR.

In other words...if you want to pursue doing contract work for TDR occasionally, have the ability & are reliable, drop me or Rick a private E... we'll see where it goes.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

In addition to what Don said above, TDR is also looking to expand our Rapid Prototyping production. With that in mind, if any of you are associated with an RP printing service and would like to bid on some interesting work, or if you know of a reliable RP printing service, please send me the info at "tdr.innovations@gmail.com".

• 1 month later...

It's great to see the progress on this project. I can't wait to get my hands on it! I'm thinking I might go for the '70, like you said, not much difference other than the grille and tail lights. I'll probably go pro touring style too, but a mild custom stock would be cool too. :lol:

-Steve

It's great to see the progress on this project. I can't wait to get my hands on it! I'm thinking I might go for the '70, like you said, not much difference other than the grille and tail lights. I'll probably go pro touring style too, but a mild custom stock would be cool too. :lol:

-Steve

Lots of possibilities Steve, not sure what direction I'll go with mine.....probably early street/drag.

Lots of possibilities Steve, not sure what direction I'll go with mine.....probably early street/drag.

That would be my ultimate choice of direction too.....:lol:

Though I could also be easily persuaded to go full Pro Stock....(aka, Sox & Martin :lol: )

Anybody interested in a stash of 1/12 kits....?? :lol: I NEED one of these beasties.....

Romell, be warned, 1/8th scale is very addictive. :rolleyes:

I'm finally done fussing with the master for the body and starting on the mold, unlike resin casting the mold will be laid up by hand in fiberglass. It will be a 5 piece bolt together affair to ease removal of the body from the mold.

The body has lots of compound curves and undercut areas.....rather than fudge or alter these areas with a "close enough" approach, I'm putting extra time into the multi piece mold. By the way,I got your email and will drop you a line later today.

The first run of bodies will go to the original investors, at that point I'll cast some for the members of the forum before they go in the catalog or on ebay........in other words, you forum guys will get a "go to the head of the line" pass. I'll talk with the guys at TDR and see if we can come up with a "special" price for members only.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk