Model Cars Magazine Forum

"BuWicked" .....a slammed Buick wagon

BigEdsGarage

It's almost done but I still need to finish up some minor details on this one and complete the interior. This was a build up that I restified. These screw chassis kits can be fun if your not looking for a super detailed kit. It has a new grille and rear bumper from Modelhaus, rims and tires were from an old Monogram kit and they cover big resin drilled discs. Simple one piece chassis was left as is but clearanced for the tires and lower ride height. Paint is several coats of HOK copper covered with about 7 coats of Kandy RootBeer topped with Standox automotive urethane clear. There is a microflake coat over the copper but it doesn't show well in the pics. Interior is a blend of Model Master Panzer Buff and beige and the fuzzy fur is a mixture of two different browns.

A couple of things I tried on this build worked nicely so I wanted to share them. I polished the yellowed and decaled up original kit windows with a 3M headlight polishing kit I bought at WalMart. It's one of those kits meant to remove the haze from modern plastic headlights on real cars. It comes with a 3 nch polishing pad and 3000 grit sanding disc. Chuck it up in a drill and polish away. I did the clear windows and paint with this. I guess you could go nuts with 8000 or 12000 grit paper but I thought the finish was very acceptable using just the 3000 supplied in the kit.If you was the waffle foam polishing pad when you are done it is reusable many times. Also, this kit had terrible definition for the body trim. I applied the BMF and for a clean edge layed down some 3M blue 1/8" tape over it to the outside of where I wanted the mldg to be. I gently dragged the blade against the edge of the blue tape then pulled it up. For the most part it made a nice crisp edge and lifting the blue tape applied over the BMF helped remove the excess. It sure beat trying to use a steady hand for long straight cuts on the car.

gallery_5628_437_2118.jpg

gallery_5628_437_46588.jpg

gallery_5628_437_12889.jpg

I just happen to have the very same kit (see the 62 Buick build thread in this section) that needs a rebuild. This is a great build and shows me that this kit can be stunning. I was going to shoot mine in the same color you chose for yours; beautiful shade but now I need to find another hue!