Model Cars Magazine Forum

Phantom '95 GMC Typhoon

GMC never did a second-gen Syclone or Typhoon, but I always wondered what one might have looked like. I conidered using a 4-door Blazer, but as far as I know, the 4-door is a snap kit, and I really wanted to add the turbo to the Vortech engine in the AMT '95 kit, so I just went that route.

The basic kit is the '95 Chevy Blazer, with the hood, grille, and front bumper from a '94 Sonoma, as well as the turbo, wheels, tires, and a few other bits from the Revell Syclone. Since the '95s had an airbag, I used the Blazer wheel (didn't have a '95 Sonoma kit or airbag wheel when I started) but filled in the bowtie and used a GMC hubcap decal from the Syclone.

So far, here's the progress-

8ED11D8D-vi.jpg

I lowered the front by flipping the spindles upside down, and bending the CV axles. The back still needs to come down a bit more, but I'll worry about that once the build progresses a bit more. The Syclone wheels slipped right on to the AMT axle stubs. The Syclone's turbo-specific exhaust downtubes will need to be reworked a bit to fit around the Vortec's harmonic balancer/crank pulley. I'll figure out how to plumb the turbo to the Vortech intake when I get there! You'll also need to relocate the oil filter to clear the front driveshaft, just as they did on the 1:1 Syclone and Typhoon. And of course, all the "Chevrolet" and "Blazer" scripts were smited from the body, along with the rub strips and fender lip moldings. There are also two rectangular depressions in each rear quarter which aren't on the 1:1 truck and seem to serve no other purpose than to annoy me. :P Those will be filled in.

7529AE2A-vi.jpg

The interior is mostly out of box, aside from the aformentioned steering wheel modification. I'm keeping it simple and low key- basic black with a few red accents. I also used the gauge cluster decal from the Sonoma.

Next up will be packaging the turbo under the hood, probably a bit of bodywork, and of course final assembly. I see this as a quick, simple build... I hope I'm not wrong this time.

wow that is sweet! I love the concept and have thought about doing one for awhile also.

There is a guy taking a two dr blazer and and putting typhoon engine and awd suspension on it, and he's going to use it as a daily! But anyways let me find that link for ya, and I'll post it here when I find it.

I'm a sucker for the s-series, so I'll be watching! B)

Edited by Jared Roach

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...